Posted to alt.home.repair
jenni

Default replacing aluminum windows

have googled around for some articles that would explain how-to-DIY replace
aluminum windows

house is in s.florida and the windows are of the 25-30 year old 3-panel
variety (they crank open sideways to the outside)

is this standard replacement material from home depot or lowes or are there
some special considerations, tips or gotchas to be aware of?

I do understand that I have to remove a small layer of stucco on the outside
to be able to get access to the aluminum frame and to unscrew the window
from the opening - that's no problem and I know how to re-stucco and repair
the area

what's best in humid climates? are there any special tips on going with
vinyl vs. wood frames or stay with another metal frame?

I do know that I need new energy efficiency rated windows and would
appreciate any tips on specific brand names that were used/installed by
others and any comments or hints on the do-it-yourself aspect

Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!! Gunner Metalworking 115 January 14th 06 07:49 PM
Replacing Windows Edward W. Thompson UK diy 12 November 23rd 05 06:34 PM
Replacing windows Nick Home Repair 2 November 24th 04 04:17 PM
adding on to our house - which windows? Michele Home Ownership 4 September 11th 03 05:38 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM