Posted to alt.home.repair
CWLee

Default Fence/wall-relative cost

Some neighbors and I are considering whether to install
concrete-block walls, chain-link fencing, or wooden fencing.
For our purposes they are all pretty much interchangeable.

Are there any generally accepted rules-of-thumb about the
RELATIVE costs of each, per running foot at a specified
height? If wooden fencing is X dollars per foot to have
installed, maybe chain-link fencing would be 1.5X, and
concrete-block walls 3X? Of course here I'm asking about
initial, installed cost. I would expect concrete to last
maybe 3 times as long, and thus be more cost effective, but
the group at this point is more focused on initial cost.

Any thoughts on the relative costs involved?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

Some neighbors and I are considering whether to install
concrete-block walls, chain-link fencing, or wooden fencing...

Any thoughts on the relative costs involved?

How about welded-wire fence (about 10 cents/ft^2 or 40 cents per linear foot
for a 4' tall fence) and T-posts (about $3 each) on 10' centers?

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"CWLee" wrote in message

Some neighbors and I are considering whether to install
concrete-block walls, chain-link fencing, or wooden fencing.
For our purposes they are all pretty much interchangeable.

Are there any generally accepted rules-of-thumb about the
RELATIVE costs of each, per running foot at a specified
height? If wooden fencing is X dollars per foot to have
installed, maybe chain-link fencing would be 1.5X, and
concrete-block walls 3X? Of course here I'm asking about
initial, installed cost. I would expect concrete to last
maybe 3 times as long, and thus be more cost effective, but
the group at this point is more focused on initial cost.

Any thoughts on the relative costs involved?

Thanks.

I live in the Sun belt.
Wood requires maintenance yearly. Definitely not my ideal product.
Chain link looks like a jail yard to me.
Fence block when painted is for-ever. At least longer than I am going to be
in the house, ~3-10 years. Currently where I live fence block is going for
~$30 a foot for 6 feet high. A year ago it was $24 a foot.
Neighbor just had to wait a year to do the wall between us which is being
finished today.