Posted to alt.home.repair
ll

Default Cash Register Repair - National from the 1940s

Hi,
I have an older National cash register from the 1940s (woodgrain
design, non brass, curved key front, pop up numbers, etc). The problem
it's havingis that when I hit the total button to open the cash drawer,
it seems to labor before finally pushing the door open. Anyone know
what this might be? I can't find any how to sites on cash registers.

Thanks,
Louis

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

ll wrote:

Hi,
I have an older National cash register from the 1940s (woodgrain
design, non brass, curved key front, pop up numbers, etc). The problem
it's havingis that when I hit the total button to open the cash drawer,
it seems to labor before finally pushing the door open. Anyone know
what this might be? I can't find any how to sites on cash registers.

Thanks,
Louis

Hi,
Behind drawer there is latch and spring. Slide out the drawer and
look, it may need cleaning and lube. Or weakened spring?
I never worked on that old one but fiddled with a few at my stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ll

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply. The spring seems to be ok - it pops out ok, but
there is a mechanical process that is supposed to generate the total
and stamp it on the paper and then pop open the door. To be more
exact, it's the process between the pushing of the total button (lever)
and the time that the drawer pops out that seems to be laborious.

Any idea what that might be?

Thanks
Louis