Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

Default How to grow Ivy (with minimal sun)

How to grow Ivy (with minimal sun)

Greetings,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in a densely populated
area of a midwest city (St. Louis, MO). For the most part,
there's about 6-8' between one house and it's next-door neighbor.

I have a strip approx. 4' x 20' on one side of my house
where nothing (except moss) seems to want to grow. Gets
sun for about 30-45 min. a day. I tried "Quality Shade"
grass: it worked for a season or 2, then petered out.

Numerous houses on the block have ivy between the houses.
It looks OK and I'm told it requires near zero maintenance.

Gardening is not my strong suit. There are all kinds
of things I don't know about.

The 4' x 20' strip is slightly sandy. There is a
slight erosion ridge from the neighbor's dysfunctional
gutters.

Good candidate for ivy?

If so, a few hints/tips as to how to acquire/grow the stuff
much appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'