Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Beaver

Default What's the buzz?

I woke up this morning and heard a loud buzzing from one of my bedroom
windows, like an insect was trapped there trying to get out. I opened the
blackout shades (which more or less effectively seal the windows off from
the room) and found at least half a dozen bees trying to get out through the
glass. All the windows to the bedroom were shut and always are. There were
two dead bees on the floor.

I went outside and saw several bees buzzing around the eves of the house, a
yard or so away from the windows. I could also see numerous bees inside the
window (the same ones I'd seen before), still trying to get out.

I had to leave for an appointment, so I closed my bedroom door so no bees
would get out into the rest of the house, should they be able to get out
from behind the blackout shades.

I came home five hours later. A few bees still buzzed around the outside
house around the eves. But when I came inside and went in the bedroom,
there were 27 dead bees on the windowsills and floor, and not one live one.

It's Southern California. The temperature outdoors was in the low sixties
all day. Temperature in the bedroom was 73.

I can't find an opening that appears large enough for one of these bees,
much less a slew of them, and even those openings are just light fixture
cans. The windows are shut, not a crack showing. The windows haven't been
opened in months.

How'd they get in, so many all at once? How'd they all die in the span of
five hours? (I've never used a pesticide on the property, which is only two
years old.) And do you think they're coming back? (Not the dead ones, of
course, but their buddies.)

BTW, I'm presuming dead bee stingers still work, so I won't be picking them
up by hand. Am I correct in that presumption?

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Jim Beaver wrote:

I woke up this morning and heard a loud buzzing from one of my bedroom
windows, like an insect was trapped there trying to get out. I opened the
blackout shades (which more or less effectively seal the windows off from
the room) and found at least half a dozen bees trying to get out through the
glass. All the windows to the bedroom were shut and always are. There were
two dead bees on the floor.

I went outside and saw several bees buzzing around the eves of the house, a
yard or so away from the windows. I could also see numerous bees inside the
window (the same ones I'd seen before), still trying to get out.

SNIP

They have a nest *inside* the wall framing.
GOOGLE around.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...
[...]

hope they're not KILLER BEES!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Jim Beaver wrote:
[...]

They are probably getting in through the attic. If you can open it up,
take a look. I think slight heat difference is too much for bees on a
sustained basis.

Zombified bees can seriously decrease your property value. Better call
Ghost Busters

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
et...
Jim Beaver wrote:

I woke up this morning and heard a loud buzzing from one of my bedroom

(snip)
e the
window (the same ones I'd seen before), still trying to get out.

SNIP

They have a nest *inside* the wall framing.
GOOGLE around.

The wall framing, or the sofitt overhang- the spaces usually connect a
little. BTDT. If you are allergic, call an exterminator, otherwise buy a
spray bomb and dose the outside of house near there, after dark when they
are less active, and home to be killed. You wanna take care of this before
the flowers bloom- honey leaking out of your walls is a mess to clean up.
You have some small holes on the outside providing an entry, somewhere.
Caulk or foam as needed, but make sure not to block any weep holes on the
window trim.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Beaver

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Follow-up: with no action taken two days later, no sign of a single bee,
alive or dead. If there's a hive inside the walls, wouldn't they continue
showing up?

Jim Beaver

Posted to alt.home.repair

how cold is it outside? they will be scarce when its cold

solenoid valve buzz [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 1st 05 01:04 PM
Low level buzz from Bush TV Mad Ad Electronics Repair 3 February 21st 05 04:20 PM
Low level buzz in cassette deck... none Electronics Repair 3 December 21st 04 07:52 AM
Yoke buzz Art Electronics Repair 0 July 6th 04 11:07 AM
VCR Panasonic NV-FS100: buzz on mono audio Jerry G. Electronics Repair 1 October 23rd 03 10:31 AM