Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default Very Noisy Gutter

Hi,

The gutter of my house is a rectangular looking closed tin pipe running from
the roof straight down on the ground.
When it rains, the pipe makes alot of noise. The noise is exactly like
there is something banging on the tin can. I think it is the water that is
rushing through the pipe to make the noise.

Any idea to silence the pipe?

--
There is no answer.
There has not been an answer.

There is no point to life.
THAT IS THE POINT.
And we are screwed.
We will run out of oil soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to
a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet
it some. Another Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

So, bascially, your suggestion is to put something in the hole to slow the
water to go down. Do I understand it correctly?

Hmm... I may have problem doing this becasue the gutter of my house is a
long tube without any opening.
It looks like this:

[]

Instead of this:

I may have to cut it open.

Last time someone dropped a baseball to the gutter and the water backed up
all the way to the roof (I have a flat roof). And then some ducks just
landed there for a bath. ;-(

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to
a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet
it some. Another Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

First, glue a magnet to a sponge, use waterproof glue. Then stick the sponge
to the inside of the drain pipe at the bottom where it turns in the elbow.
Most of the noise comes when drops of water hit the bottom of the pipe at
this spot. There is also a product that looks as I described available at
some hardware stores.

"Tom" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

The gutter of my house is a rectangular looking closed tin pipe running
from the roof straight down on the ground.
When it rains, the pipe makes alot of noise. The noise is exactly like
there is something banging on the tin can. I think it is the water that
is rushing through the pipe to make the noise.

Any idea to silence the pipe?

--
There is no answer.
There has not been an answer.
There will not be an answer.
That IS the answer!
And I am screwed.
Deadline was due yesterday.

There is no point to life.
THAT IS THE POINT.
And we are screwed.
We will run out of oil soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

I see...
So, the water drops to the bottom and then the noise echos back up through
the pipe like a trupet... That's why it is so loud...

ink.net...

"Tom" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

The gutter of my house is a rectangular looking closed tin pipe running
from the roof straight down on the ground.
When it rains, the pipe makes alot of noise. The noise is exactly like
there is something banging on the tin can. I think it is the water that
is rushing through the pipe to make the noise.

Any idea to silence the pipe?

--
There is no answer.
There has not been an answer.
There will not be an answer.
That IS the answer!
And I am screwed.
Deadline was due yesterday.

There is no point to life.
THAT IS THE POINT.
And we are screwed.
We will run out of oil soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

I suspect the idea is to provide a path for the water to follow rather
than falling down the middle. I suggest a chain, but rope should work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Tom" wrote in message
. com...
So, bascially, your suggestion is to put something in the hole to slow the
water to go down. Do I understand it correctly?

Hmm... I may have problem doing this becasue the gutter of my house is a
long tube without any opening.
It looks like this:

[]

Instead of this:

I may have to cut it open.

Last time someone dropped a baseball to the gutter and the water backed up
all the way to the roof (I have a flat roof). And then some ducks just
landed there for a bath. ;-(

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to
a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet
it some. Another Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

does the pipe go underground or does it just dump on the ground? years
ago I remember a noisey back gutter, found out the exit was clogged,
disconnected underground line and noise went away.

later did lots of digging and ran new underground line

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Just like in chemistry class when you may have learned to pour the acid down
the stirring rod rather than glugging it into the middle of the beaker to
splash all around.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...
I suspect the idea is to provide a path for the water to follow rather
than falling down the middle. I suggest a chain, but rope should work.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Tom" wrote in message
. com...
So, bascially, your suggestion is to put something in the hole to slow
the water to go down. Do I understand it correctly?

Hmm... I may have problem doing this becasue the gutter of my house is a
long tube without any opening.
It looks like this:

[]

Instead of this:

I may have to cut it open.

Last time someone dropped a baseball to the gutter and the water backed
up all the way to the roof (I have a flat roof). And then some ducks
just landed there for a bath. ;-(

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to
a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet
it some. Another Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to
a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet
it some. Another Tom

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. By "outlet", I meant where the gutter
dumps into the downspout. Yes, way up there. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:50:44 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:05:18 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

So, bascially, your suggestion is to put something in the hole to slow the
water to go down. Do I understand it correctly?

When I watch tv in the bathtub, I tie a washcloth to the spout so I
don't hear the hot water dribbling in. Works fine. You need
something narrower.

Hmm... I may have problem doing this becasue the gutter of my house is a
long tube without any opening.

Then how does the water get in?

It looks like this:

[]

Instead of this:

I may have to cut it open.

That's a great idea!

Last time someone dropped a baseball to the gutter and the water backed up
all the way to the roof (I have a flat roof). And then some ducks just
landed there for a bath. ;-(

You have something against clean ducks?

BTW, you're talking about a downspout, not a gutter.

But I think you're a troll.

"tom" wrote in message
roups.com...
Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to
a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet
it some. Another Tom

Yep, I say this is a TROLL !!!!
A well fed troll too....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

PipeDown wrote:
Just like in chemistry class when you may have learned to pour the
acid down the stirring rod rather than glugging it into the middle of
the beaker to splash all around.

Exactly.

You know over the years I have used that trick many times.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...
I suspect the idea is to provide a path for the water to follow
rather than falling down the middle. I suggest a chain, but rope
should work.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Tom" wrote in message
. com...
So, bascially, your suggestion is to put something in the hole to
slow the water to go down. Do I understand it correctly?

Hmm... I may have problem doing this becasue the gutter of my house
is a long tube without any opening.
It looks like this:

[]

Instead of this:

I may have to cut it open.

Last time someone dropped a baseball to the gutter and the water
backed up all the way to the roof (I have a flat roof). And then
some ducks just landed there for a bath. ;-(

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever,
tied to a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It
should quiet it some. Another Tom

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

The hole where the water goes in is in the middle of the roof. The pipe
runs from the middle all the way to the side of the house, and then it turns
90 degree and runs straight down to the ground. The opening for letting the
water out is above ground.

It is a square tube without any opening.
picture he

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/boaz16...&.dnm=9ef2.jpg

Looks like this:

(2)-------------------------(1) water goes in on top of the roof

V (3) --- water goes out.

The water runs from (1) to (2), and then (3).

So, what you suggest is to cut open (2) and then hang some sort of rope or
whatever and let the rope drop all the way down to (3)...

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
"tom" wrote in message
roups.com...
Lay some sort of "conductor", piece of rope, chain or whatever, tied to
a gutterspike near the outlet, hanging into the outlet. It should quiet
it some. Another Tom

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. By "outlet", I meant where the gutter
dumps into the downspout. Yes, way up there. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

It is always noisy. I think the rope thingy is promising. A big fat twisty
rope. So the water can rollercoaster down instead of drop straight down.

wrote in message
oups.com...
is this a new trouble or was it alweays noisey?

if its new the downspout might be coming loose from the house

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

I have read that chains can be used for this purpose and work well. I
notice some noise in my downspouts during heavy rain (benefit of
having a 3-story house).

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 01:23:58 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

It is always noisy. I think the rope thingy is promising. A big fat twisty
rope. So the water can rollercoaster down instead of drop straight down.

wrote in message
roups.com...
is this a new trouble or was it alweays noisey?

if its new the downspout might be coming loose from the house

Posted to alt.home.repair
boaz

I think I will give a rope a try. The chains may bang on the inside of the
tube to make more noise if the water pushes it back and fore. In a matter
of fact, if the rope doesn't work, I can always use it to hang myself and
save me some $$$.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have read that chains can be used for this purpose and work well. I
notice some noise in my downspouts during heavy rain (benefit of
having a 3-story house).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Tom wrote:
Hi,

The gutter of my house is a rectangular looking closed tin pipe running from
the roof straight down on the ground.
When it rains, the pipe makes alot of noise. The noise is exactly like
there is something banging on the tin can. I think it is the water that is
rushing through the pipe to make the noise.

Any idea to silence the pipe?

Does the downspout lay against the siding? If so, you might get less
noise by putting something between the gutter and the siding - piece of
cork, wood or foam? Something banging on a tin can? Does the downspout
move when rainfall is heavy? Make sure the fasteners are holding tight,
too.

gutter repair--what a headache peter p. Home Repair 13 April 19th 05 02:18 PM
Gutter guards ! [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 20th 04 09:35 PM
Gutter screen barry martin Home Repair 2 August 28th 04 02:24 PM
gutter drip edge problems wgadsby Home Repair 1 October 24th 03 10:26 AM
gutter guards Bloated Elvis Home Repair 0 October 15th 03 03:42 AM