Posted to alt.home.repair
george

Default Granite Installation Costs

Hi,
we are doing a kitchen remodel, and are installing about 56 square feet
of granite countertop. There will be 2 main sections (one of them an L
shape where the sink will go), with a 3rd small slab sitting on top of
a small cabinet next to the range, and a 4th trangular shaped one that
is a couple of feet above the sink. Anyone have estimates of how much
the installation would cost? I was quoted $5400 (including the granite
cost) and i know the granite itself costs about $1900 for 2 slabs
(unfortunately we will need both). does that installation price seem
reasonable?

thanks,
gw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zzyzx

"george" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
we are doing a kitchen remodel, and are installing about 56 square feet
of granite countertop. There will be 2 main sections (one of them an L
shape where the sink will go), with a 3rd small slab sitting on top of
a small cabinet next to the range, and a 4th trangular shaped one that
is a couple of feet above the sink. Anyone have estimates of how much
the installation would cost? I was quoted $5400 (including the granite
cost) and i know the granite itself costs about $1900 for 2 slabs
(unfortunately we will need both). does that installation price seem
reasonable?

thanks,
gw.

It depends of where you live & what type of granite. I'm getting 65 sq ft of
Blue Pearl installed for $4000.00, that price includes the 125.00 for the
sink cutout and demolition of old counter. This is in Austin, TX.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

Get some more quotes. In the DC area, we're getting granite from a
reputable installer for $60 a square foot. It depends on how scarce
the stone you like is, but the bid you got sounds high to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
On 27 Feb 2006 17:12:39 -0800, "george"
wrote:

Hi,
we are doing a kitchen remodel, and are installing about 56 square feet
of granite countertop. There will be 2 main sections (one of them an L
shape where the sink will go), with a 3rd small slab sitting on top of
a small cabinet next to the range, and a 4th trangular shaped one that
is a couple of feet above the sink. Anyone have estimates of how much
the installation would cost? I was quoted $5400 (including the granite
cost) and i know the granite itself costs about $1900 for 2 slabs
(unfortunately we will need both). does that installation price seem
reasonable?

thanks,
gw.

My job:

A large long L shape with a sink and countertop range cutout, a 3'x4'
island, another 3x4 piece, and two 4x1 pieces. All with bullnose, (half
round made from two layers of 3/4") probably around 70% of the total
perimeter. 3/4" thick

Installation - $2800
Granite - $1500

We had to buy a lot more granite than we needed to get the pieces we wanted
out of the slabs. Lucky for us, the granite was hugely discounted because
it had great looking rust streaks running longways in a gray background, but
only on half the width of the slab. AND, it was available in 10' pieces,
which allowed us to get one huge piece to cover up one total long leg of the
L without having to have a seam where it would have shown.

The guys who installed it were ghosts. Came and measured. Showed up and
installed it. Came back and used some big scraps and put them up behind the
range, about 15 square feet. I don't remember what they even looked like.
They really had their **** together and didn't spend a lot of time here.

Total cost, $4300, materials and installation, about 100 square feet of
finished area.

And, it is a dazzling job.

You gotta shop. Prices came in all over the place on granite before we
found those pieces, a lot of them close to $30 per sf just for the granite.
I got the installers through the custom cabinet guy we used. Installers
were all over the map, too.

The granite is good. I put on the wipe on sealer twice now. You can leave
anything on the surface and it will not leave a mark. The pattern helps, as
you could throw up on it, and you would have to look for it. ;-) Sounds
hideous, but has lots of shades of gray, beige, rust and copper. Nicest
granite I have ever seen, and that includes some very expensive stuff I
wouldn't have in my house. Just my taste. Go figger.

There is no standard price. Here in Las Vegas, pricing was all over the
place. We ended up with some good stone and a good installation.

Good luck.

Steve