Posted to alt.home.repair
KB

Default Trane XE80 cleaning question

I have a Trane XE 80 A/C, gas heater combination unit. For a few months now,
there has been a "musty" smell. My A/C guy checked it out and put a liquid
chemical cleaner behind the filter that was then spread through the system
via the fan (it was not applied to anything directly). That seemed to take
care of it for a while, but now the odor is back. Also, the filter, which I
replace regularly (3M), has moisture collecting on it to the point that the
metal stabilizers in back sometimes have some rust on them. I mentioned this
to my A/C person as well, but he just says neither he nor his boss have any
idea what might be causing this accumulation of moisture. He also claims the
inside part of the A/C unit is "self-contained" and cannot be cleaned (he
serviced the condensator (?) outside and cleaned it). I would just get
another A/C person, but I have a maintenance contract with these guys (long
story of company resales) and would loathe to pay someone else to come out
if there's nothing to be done.

I have searched the hvac forums in vain for any information on this type of
problem with the XE 80 or even a comparable Trane unit (everybody else just
seems to have issues with the gas heater auto ignition). Any ideas?
I also searched for a schematic to see whether the unit is really
"self-contained" and "doesn't need cleaning" as the A/C guy stated, but I
have had no luck there either (Trane's website doesn't list the XE 80
anymore). The unit is 10 years old and mostly used for A/C. Apart from the
odor, I have had no issues with it. The odor clearly seems to originate near
the unit and not in the vents.

Thanks for any help in advance!
KB

Posted to alt.home.repair