Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Mid-level programmable thermostat

Hi,
Would like to replace existing non-programmable one.
Experts, would you recommend mid-level programmable
one? Just to control our gas furnace. Nothing too fancy.
TIA,
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Would like to replace existing non-programmable one.

Hi, Not an expert, just a programmable-thermostat user. My landlord
recently bought and installed a "Lux" brand programmable, and it has
worked about 99% of the time. It's the 1% that'll get you - a few
times now it's "forgotten" to heat - the inside temp has gotten down to
55 or so. Once you manually bump the temp up a degree, it "remembers"
and kicks on and then it's fine. This has only happened 2-3 times in
the 6 months we've had it, but if I were buying one, I'd definitely
look for a nicer one. I've heard Honeywell is a good brand, but you
should wait for more opinions on that, or maybe look at Consumers
Reports.
Good luck (but no Lux),
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Tony,

I'm happy with the Honeywell CT3200 for about $45 US. It works with 24
volt heating and cooling systems. Came with good instructions, was easy to
install, is easy to use.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guess it depends on definition of mid-level and what you are looking
for. I just got a sweet deal on Ebay for the Honeywell touchscreen
one, about $75. Boy is it nice! Fully programmable, can handle
multiple stages, and super simple to program. If you want the same
schedule for Tues - Fri, you just press Tues, Wd, Thur, Fri, check
marks show up, then set the program, and voila! it's done! Also, it
has vacation hold, which allows you to set a temporary temp that will
be maintained for X number of days. I think that is such a great
feature, that you would think almost all would have it. It allows you
to go away for a week, set it way back and have the house at temp when
you return.