Posted to alt.home.repair
dk

Default Basement drafty-heating system

I had my basement finished a few years ago. In order to hold down cost
I let the contractor "tap into" the existing system to supply
heating/cooling to the basement.

I'd now like to rectify the situation so that my heating cooling in the
entire house isn't so "unbalanced".(summer - system struggles to cool
upstairs, winter - system struggles to heat downstairs).

Any ideas as to the best course of action?? Heat pump, replace system
with zoned heating.

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Lord save us from money saving ideas, they almost always come back to
bite us.

Put in a zoning system with the basement on a seperate zone.

Use the existing heating/cooling equipment, if a Manual J Load
Calculation shows it is big enough. Since most systems are oversized,
that will likely be the case.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

dk wrote:
I had my basement finished a few years ago. In order to hold down cost
I let the contractor "tap into" the existing system to supply
heating/cooling to the basement.

I'd now like to rectify the situation so that my heating cooling in
the entire house isn't so "unbalanced".(summer - system struggles to
cool upstairs, winter - system struggles to heat downstairs).

Any ideas as to the best course of action?? Heat pump, replace system
with zoned heating.

TIA

Best course of action is to find a good contractor and ask them. Every
situation is different. We don't know the size and age and condition of
what you have, nor the loads etc. It needs someone on site to come up with
the best solution. It is possible that you will get some good ideas here
and you can maybe use some of them when talking to the contractor, but I
suggest that your final source should be the contractor.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Don't understand why our boiler keeps firing up within a Megaflow heating system [email protected] UK diy 1 May 7th 05 01:07 AM
Old "Electric" House, wanting new heating system bschott Home Repair 7 October 29th 04 04:30 AM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Underfloor heating SC UK diy 112 August 27th 03 02:12 PM