Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default cheapest natural gas boiler 60,000 BTU or more

Greetings,

I am replacing an existing boiler in a 700 sq ft house. What is the
CHEAPEST natural gas boiler I can buy of at least 60,000 BTU online or
otherwise. This seems like a question I should be able to answer with
google.com but I had back luck so I am asking the experts. You guys.

Thank you for your time,
William

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I am replacing an existing boiler in a 700 sq ft house. What is the
CHEAPEST natural gas boiler I can buy of at least 60,000 BTU online or
otherwise. This seems like a question I should be able to answer with
google.com but I had back luck so I am asking the experts. You guys.

Thank you for your time,
William

I know where you can get a 2 million btu boiler for about $20k. Just
removed it from a building in Phoenix. Very serviceable.

Fits your requirement of at least 60K. Cheap by any standard.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Phil Scott

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I am replacing an existing boiler in a 700 sq ft house.
What is the
CHEAPEST natural gas boiler I can buy of at least 60,000 BTU
online or
otherwise. This seems like a question I should be able to
answer with
google.com but I had back luck so I am asking the experts.
You guys.

Thank you for your time,
William

A lot of people use water heaters for that purpose. those
are cheap. you will have to check the btu/hr heat input
rating and select accordingly, for 60,000 btu/hr you probably
need a 30 gal high recovery rate water heater... cost probably
under 400 dollars.. could be a little more.

Then just hook it up to your hot water circulating pump...dont
forget to fit an expansion tank.. the bladder diaphram type
will be best for your application, a small one, about 5 gal
total capacity... no valves between the expansion tank and the
hot water outlet of the heater. you can locate the bladder
type anwhere you want...be sure to read the directions.

That should last you about 10 years, maybe 20 years in house
heating service conditions.... its a closed loop, so there
will not be any scale build up issues.

You might consider a 40,000 btu model for a house that small,
then suppliment with a 50 dollar electric heater in your
bedroom for cold nights on occasion. that would be about
200 dollars cheaper.

Is it legal? check your local city building inspectors dept.
they may require you to fit an approved **low water safety
shut off*** , but maybe not... the smaller you go the less is
required for ignition and low water protection...an advantage
if you go to the 20 gallon heater. Be sure to fit the
standard hot water heater pressure relief valve regardless
...thats critical.

The city may want a back flow preventer on the cold water make
up line. you may or may want to ask, since its somewhat of a
self sterilizing loop if you set the thermostat over 200F...
and you will not be treating it with chemicals that is not
entirely critical issue (as it is with larger boilers that
chemically treated water in loop that you want to keep out of
the city mains in event of loss of city water pressure etc).
There are bacteria that live in hot water though and you
wouldnt want that back flushing into your city water line, so
minimally I would install a swing check valve... and discuss
it with the city.

If someone sets the thermostat below 120F you can get
dangerous bacteria growing in the heater and water
distribution lines...and that could happen later, after you
are gone etc.

Buy it for the correct fuel, natural gas or propane. they
have different jet sizes.

Phil Scott

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
buffalobill

i don't know. don't forget freight on that weight, and trucking to your
dock or door plus hiring a mover to place it from curb to basement.
the last 120000 dunkirk boiler new in 1990 cost under $3000 including
all parts and labor installed into a working system with 4 zone valves
by a hvac contractor.
boiler prices are generally just quoted to hvac contractors because the
distributors don't want the liability of selling to a beginner who may
screw up its installation and expect a warranty to cover their existing
untested system problems.
qualified hvac installers don't like being put into the position of
using customer furnished parts due to safety concerns. most refuse this
work.
the poor guy who OOPS turns off the resupply fresh water valve during
heating season to "repair" the pressure relief valve is dripping on the
floor unknowingly awaits impending damage to his boiler.

"Q: Can I buy a boiler direct from the factory?
A: No -as a manufacturer of equipment we sell our product only thru
wholesale distribution who in turn will supply the dealer trade in your
area with our products along with all the other items your dealer will
need for your system. We support the professional tradesmen to know
that your new piece of heating equipment is installed and operating
correctly for maximum efficiency and safety concerns. With today's
installation codes, in many area's a piece of equipment can only be
installed by a licensed plumber or heating technician, which is good
for the industry and safety of all concerned."
http://www.dunkirk.com/faq.asp

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

SQLit wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I am replacing an existing boiler in a 700 sq ft house. What is the
CHEAPEST natural gas boiler I can buy of at least 60,000 BTU online or
otherwise. This seems like a question I should be able to answer with
google.com but I had back luck so I am asking the experts. You guys.

Thank you for your time,
William

I know where you can get a 2 million btu boiler for about $20k. Just
removed it from a building in Phoenix. Very serviceable.

Fits your requirement of at least 60K. Cheap by any standard.

Greetings,

Thank you very much for the offer but I was looking for cheap in terms
of absolute dollars, not best value. I have a couple used 300K-600K
forced air units sitting around myself. If I ever do need a large
boiler in the future (and it is possible) I will keep you in mind.

William

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On 24 Feb 2006 14:46:28 -0800, "
wrote:

Greetings,

I am replacing an existing boiler in a 700 sq ft house. What is the
CHEAPEST natural gas boiler I can buy of at least 60,000 BTU online or
otherwise. This seems like a question I should be able to answer with
google.com but I had back luck so I am asking the experts. You guys.

Thank you for your time,
William

Just ask someone after work at the supply house if he will get you one
cheap and slip him $100.

Greetings,

That easy eh? How about I pay you $200.00 and you can keep $100.00 for
yourself?

Let me know,
William

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Phil Scott wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

The boiler rating is 60K for such a small house because the house is a
row home built in the 1800's and is not (well) insulated. The houses
on either side have been torn down so there is a lot of surface area to
volume.

I wish I could use a water heater to heat the home but I am almost
certain the town will not allow it because I have never seen such a
setup. However, it doesn't hurt to ask and I will on monday if I don't
have a new boiler in by then.

Thanks for your very informative reply,
William

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:
[...]

A: No -as a manufacturer of equipment we sell our product only thru
wholesale distribution who in turn will supply the dealer trade in your
area with our products along with all the other items your dealer will
need for your system. We support the professional tradesmen to know
that your new piece of heating equipment is installed and operating
correctly for maximum efficiency and safety concerns. With today's
installation codes, in many area's a piece of equipment can only be
installed by a licensed plumber or heating technician, which is good
for the industry and safety of all concerned."
http://www.dunkirk.com/faq.asp

Thank you. I guess Dunkirk probably won't be receiving my business. I
am sure someone wants my money.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Thank you. I guess Dunkirk probably won't be receiving my business. I
am sure someone wants my money.

Looks like these guys will take it
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory.cfm/categoryID/105/p/Natural_Gas_or_Propane_(LP)_Fuel,_Water_Boilers
About $1500 for the cheapest 62k Btu.

I have no idea how the price compares with a local supplier.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

" wrote in
ups.com:

Phil Scott wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Park a couple of doublewides on each side and rent em out. Income +
insulation.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Phil Scott

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
" wrote in
ups.com:

Phil Scott wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Im sure thats about right...however the max design condition
is only approached 2% of its run time... that means that 98%
of the time a correctly sized boiler is over sized... and 2%
of the time its right sized, and maybe 1% of the time its a
little undersized.

by going to 40,000 btu it will be undersized maybe 4% of the
time... thats livable if you have an electric heater in the
bedroom for those days. If low cost is a concern thats an
issue..also with the city code requirements for low water
protection etc.

when talking to the city on this issue be sure you dont become
aflicted with an idiot... be prepaired to question any replys
and ask for a reference to the Uniform Mechanical Code if they
decline the use of a hot water heater for your purpose.

Phil Scott

The houses
on either side have been torn down so there is a lot of
surface area to
volume.

I wish I could use a water heater to heat the home but I am
almost
certain the town will not allow it because I have never
seen such a
setup. However, it doesn't hurt to ask and I will on
monday if I don't
have a new boiler in by then.

Thanks for your very informative reply,
William

The houses
on either side have been torn down so there is a lot of
surface area to
volume.

Park a couple of doublewides on each side and rent em out.
Income +
insulation.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Phil Scott

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

Park a couple of doublewides on each side and rent em out.
Income +
insulation.

good idea bundy... if the double wides aren't tall enough
something could be done with a hay storage and hog operation.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

"Phil Scott" wrote in news:dtopr8$hke$1
@news.tdl.com:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

Park a couple of doublewides on each side and rent em out.
Income +
insulation.

good idea bundy... if the double wides aren't tall enough
something could be done with a hay storage and hog operation.

Old bathtubs and sinks along walk painted with aluminum trailer roof
paint in place of low voltage lighting.

I can say this **** because I once lived in a double wide south of the
Mason-Dixon.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

wrote

buffalobill wrote:
"Q: Can I buy a boiler direct from the factory?
A: No -as a manufacturer of equipment we sell our product only thru
wholesale distribution who in turn will supply the dealer trade in your
area with our products along with all the other items your dealer will
need for your system. We support the professional tradesmen to know
that your new piece of heating equipment is installed and operating
correctly for maximum efficiency and safety concerns. With today's
installation codes, in many area's a piece of equipment can only be
installed by a licensed plumber or heating technician, which is good
for the industry and safety of all concerned."
http://www.dunkirk.com/faq.asp

Thank you. I guess Dunkirk probably won't be receiving my business. I
am sure someone wants my money.

Damn! And you have so much money to spread around, too!

You cheap ****......

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"Al Bundy" wrote

Old bathtubs and sinks along walk painted with aluminum trailer roof
paint in place of low voltage lighting.

I can say this **** because I once lived in a double wide south of the
Mason-Dixon.

Sounds like a mansion to me!!!!

(and I live WELL below that Manson/Nixon line.....)

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Phil Scott

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Phil Scott" wrote in
@news.tdl.com:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

Park a couple of doublewides on each side and rent em out.
Income +
insulation.

good idea bundy... if the double wides aren't tall
enough
something could be done with a hay storage and hog
operation.

Old bathtubs and sinks along walk painted with aluminum
trailer roof
paint in place of low voltage lighting.

thats smart. you get the reflectivity from the aluminum..
you could save a lot on lighting that way. it also provides
a place for the dogs to stay in bad weather.

I can say this **** because I once lived in a double wide
south of the
Mason-Dixon.

With good jobs going offshore the income tax base is heading
south... the states are trying to make it up with property
tax. the plan I think was to get everyone into 'their own
home'... with the kiddies etc... then run property taxes out
the roof.

In New Hampshire they have the 'view factor' that they use as
a multiplier depending on your view. One guy was paying 500
dollars a year on his house, that went to 3500 dollars with a
'view factor' of 7.

Phil Scott

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Phil Scott" wrote in message
In New Hampshire they have the 'view factor' that they use as a multiplier
depending on your view. One guy was paying 500 dollars a year on his
house, that went to 3500 dollars with a 'view factor' of 7.

That is getting to be a popular way of gouging the taxpayers. They have
been doing that in CT now also. One wealthy individual just sold the
waterfront home that has been in the family for 150 years because of the tax
increases. I'm not sure of all the classifications, but there is beach
view, water view, beachfront, lakefront, etc.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

"Phil Scott" wrote in news:dtq5d0$r3n$1
@news.tdl.com:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
"Phil Scott" wrote in
@news.tdl.com:

"Al Bundy" wrote in message

[...]

Got bit by that one big time a few years back!

the income tax base is heading south...

So that's what I did!

In New Hampshire they have the 'view factor'

Lived in VT before bailing south. They came up with Act 60. Towns with
more bucks would be taxed extra and the $ would go to schools in other
towns. Actually called them "gold towns". If you are/were in NH, you (and
every other skier in the US) know Stowe. They got nailed big time by Act
60. There were many towns that got the shaft.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
m:

"Phil Scott" wrote in message
In New Hampshire they have the 'view factor' that they use as a
multiplier depending on your view. One guy was paying 500 dollars a
year on his house, that went to 3500 dollars with a 'view factor' of
7.

That is getting to be a popular way of gouging the taxpayers. They
have been doing that in CT now also. One wealthy individual just
sold the waterfront home that has been in the family for 150 years
because of the tax increases. I'm not sure of all the
classifications, but there is beach view, water view, beachfront,
lakefront, etc.

Grew up in CT. Not the CT of today though. The waterfront I played around
consisted of oil tanker docks and barges at junk yards. They tore down
the many many 1m gal tanks, filled the containment holes with kitty
litter or something and built "waterfront" condos. It was worth more than
the fuel oil businesses. The "water" at the waterfront glows various
colors at night and a blue slick on top of black water by daytime. But
it's waterfront.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Rescue

Al Bundy wrote:

I can say this **** because I once lived in a double wide south of the
Mason-Dixon.

we already knew this Bundy
In fact, I've got you portfolio right here
we've been watching you

This is the CIA...

you can quit with the foil hat already
we know all about you Bundy

keep it clean Bundy
we're watching you

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

"Rescue" wrote in
oups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:

I can say this **** because I once lived in a double wide south of
the Mason-Dixon.

we already knew this Bundy
In fact, I've got you portfolio right here
we've been watching you

This is the CIA...

you can quit with the foil hat already
we know all about you Bundy

keep it Bundy
we're watching you

Damn! Well if I'm gonna have a profile please update my photo. Here I am
on a business conference call outside my doublewide.

http://www.konicaminoltaonline.com/k...65& pagenum=1

is venting your dryer to the house O.K in winter? Pawel Home Repair 173 November 25th 05 08:30 PM
Non-modulating condensing boilers? Egremont UK diy 34 July 22nd 05 07:02 PM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM