Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bamboo next to oak floor?

We are doing a kitchen remodel and would like to replace vinyl floor
with wood. All the rest of our house is oak flooring. But I am
concerned about future water damage. I've been told that bamboo is much
more forgiving in the kitchen.

Has anyone installed bamboo in their kitchen where the rest of the
house is wood floor?

Do the two different woods complement or clash?

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Banty wrote:
In article . com,
says...

We are doing a kitchen remodel and would like to replace vinyl floor
with wood. All the rest of our house is oak flooring. But I am
concerned about future water damage. I've been told that bamboo is much
more forgiving in the kitchen.

Has anyone installed bamboo in their kitchen where the rest of the
house is wood floor?

Do the two different woods complement or clash?

They'd clash - even if the stains are close, the grains are very different.
It's better to have a more frank difference, like going from oak flooringto
tile or good updated vinyl.

I gotta admit my bias - I really dislike wood floors in the kitchen. Butsince
you want sticks on your kitchen floor ;-), I'd go with oak and let the experts
here advise on preparation.

Cheers,
Banty (looking at my two-day old porcelain kitchen tile...)

Here's my 2˘

oak for living areas; bedrooms, den, dining, etc.......accent w/ area
rugs,elegant & clean

tile for kitchen, bathrooms & laundry (or vinyl)......durable & clean

wood floors & water do not mix well despite what the marketing guys say

I've got a 75 year old house with original oak floors; some areas
refinished ~20 years ago (Swedish finish), some areas recently
uncovered from 75 years under wall to wall (R&R a few times). They got
a superficial buff & light refinish, I can only hope I look as good at
75.

Still have vinyl in the kitchen, not sure about remodel. But the 75
year old tile still works in the baths

BTW have had experiience with wood in two kitchens

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article .com,
says...

Banty wrote:
In article . com,
says...

We are doing a kitchen remodel and would like to replace vinyl floor
with wood. All the rest of our house is oak flooring. But I am
concerned about future water damage. I've been told that bamboo is much
more forgiving in the kitchen.

Has anyone installed bamboo in their kitchen where the rest of the
house is wood floor?

Do the two different woods complement or clash?

They'd clash - even if the stains are close, the grains are very different.
It's better to have a more frank difference, like going from oak flooring to
tile or good updated vinyl.

I tend to agree, though bamboo comes in different colors. If the
oak is dark, perhaps a natural bamboo would work.

I gotta admit my bias - I really dislike wood floors in the kitchen. But since
you want sticks on your kitchen floor ;-), I'd go with oak and let the experts
here advise on preparation.

Cheers,
Banty (looking at my two-day old porcelain kitchen tile...)

Here's my 2˘

oak for living areas; bedrooms, den, dining, etc.......accent w/ area
rugs,elegant & clean

tile for kitchen, bathrooms & laundry (or vinyl)......durable & clean

Bathrooms, without question. In kitchens, where people may stand
for long periods, tile is hard on the feet. Dropped things don't
do well on tile (and verse visa) either. We had time in our
previous house. The wife nixed the idea for the kitchen in our
current house.

wood floors & water do not mix well despite what the marketing guys say

Bamboo isn't wood. We have bamboo in the kitchen (dining room and
hallways) and it's fine, at least so far. ;-)

I've got a 75 year old house with original oak floors; some areas
refinished ~20 years ago (Swedish finish), some areas recently
uncovered from 75 years under wall to wall (R&R a few times). They got
a superficial buff & light refinish, I can only hope I look as good at
75.

Bamboo shouldn't be a lot different.

Still have vinyl in the kitchen, not sure about remodel. But the 75
year old tile still works in the baths

BTW have had experiience with wood in two kitchens

Have had experience with tile, vinyl, and bamboo. Bamboo works and
is cheap. ;-)

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kathy

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are doing a kitchen remodel and would like to

replace vinyl floor
with wood. All the rest of our house is oak

flooring. But I am
concerned about future water damage. I've been

told that bamboo is much
more forgiving in the kitchen.

Has anyone installed bamboo in their kitchen

where the rest of the
house is wood floor?

Do the two different woods complement or clash?

Bamboo is no good for heavy traffic like in a
kitchen. It's not really hardwood. And it discolors
ALOT. My friend had it put in her home office and
after only 2 years it looks awful. And thats not
even high traffic. Boo on Bamboo

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jennifer

Kathy wrote:

Bamboo is no good for heavy traffic like in a
kitchen. It's not really hardwood. And it discolors
ALOT. My friend had it put in her home office and
after only 2 years it looks awful. And thats not
even high traffic. Boo on Bamboo

Depends on the bamboo... dud she get the cheap $2/sq ft stuff? There's
a restaurant near me that's been open for about 3 years with bamboo
floors, and it's the very definition of high-traffic. Their floors
still look amazing.

--
Jennifer

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Depends on the bamboo... dud she get the cheap $2/sq ft stuff? There's
a restaurant near me that's been open for about 3 years with bamboo
floors, and it's the very definition of high-traffic. Their floors
still look amazing.

Probably got less to do with the bamboo than with the
30,000 layers of acrylic on top of it, and regular
maintenance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bamboo is supposed to be several times harder than Maple which is why
more cutting boards are being made with it. With this in mind, I cannot
see how it would wear fast on floors because of it's toughness. The
main ingredient to keeping water separate from the wood is "finish".
The type of sealant and protective finish will work the same on either
floor .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Charles Spitzer says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
Bamboo is supposed to be several times harder than Maple which is why
more cutting boards are being made with it. With this in mind, I cannot
see how it would wear fast on floors because of it's toughness. The
main ingredient to keeping water separate from the wood is "finish".
The type of sealant and protective finish will work the same on either
floor .

huh? every cutting board i've seen uses maple, also because it has little to
no pores. bamboo is a grass, and is porous, so would be a poor choice for a
cutting board.

No he's right (at least about cutting boards; I haven't looked up anything about
hardness..)

I have both kinds - maple and bamboo. The bamboo one is newer and smaller, but
so far I haven't gotten the splitting I've gotten on my one of my newer maple
boards.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Charles Spitzer says...

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

the splitting isn't because it's harder. it almost always splits where the
boards are glued together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a " Mocha Bamboo " floor in my Kitchen.. I placed an oak saddle between the rooms. In my living room I have oak.. it looks great... plus the Bamboo is great with moisture...

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...oor-91501-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:15:02 +0000, Rob v posted for all of us to digest...

I have a " Mocha Bamboo " floor in my Kitchen.. I placed an oak saddle between the rooms. In my living room I have oak.. it looks great... plus the Bamboo is great with moisture...

14 years old & getting older

--
Tekkie