Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Default bamboo next to oak floor?

Banty wrote:
In article . com,
says...

We are doing a kitchen remodel and would like to replace vinyl floor
with wood. All the rest of our house is oak flooring. But I am
concerned about future water damage. I've been told that bamboo is much
more forgiving in the kitchen.

Has anyone installed bamboo in their kitchen where the rest of the
house is wood floor?

Do the two different woods complement or clash?

They'd clash - even if the stains are close, the grains are very different.
It's better to have a more frank difference, like going from oak flooringto
tile or good updated vinyl.

I gotta admit my bias - I really dislike wood floors in the kitchen. Butsince
you want sticks on your kitchen floor ;-), I'd go with oak and let the experts
here advise on preparation.

Cheers,
Banty (looking at my two-day old porcelain kitchen tile...)

Here's my 2¢

oak for living areas; bedrooms, den, dining, etc.......accent w/ area
rugs,elegant & clean

tile for kitchen, bathrooms & laundry (or vinyl)......durable & clean

wood floors & water do not mix well despite what the marketing guys say

I've got a 75 year old house with original oak floors; some areas
refinished ~20 years ago (Swedish finish), some areas recently
uncovered from 75 years under wall to wall (R&R a few times). They got
a superficial buff & light refinish, I can only hope I look as good at
75.

Still have vinyl in the kitchen, not sure about remodel. But the 75
year old tile still works in the baths

BTW have had experiience with wood in two kitchens

cheers
Bob