Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using old grout.

I have been maintaining a friends tile floor. It wasn't a first rate
job to begin with but it was adequate. About once every three months
he has me come over and patch where the grout has cracked and fallen
out. I have been using the bag of grout that he had left over from the
original installation. I would go out and buy more but it was a some
what unusual pink color. What I have been finding lately is that the
grout doesn't set up poroperly. It looks OK but it is soft and can be
dug out easily with a knife. Does grout go bad sitting in the bag?
It has clumped up some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah its bad, you might check with a tile store to match it colore
wise, or remove all the old grout and start over anew.

is the trouble a poor subfloor thats moving even a little? is the tile
on concrete board?

if the sub floor isnt solid nothing you do will help

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know what the problem with the original tile job is, the underlayment
is flexing and causing the original grout to crack. That isn't may
main concern as I can continue to re grout the broken stuff from time
to time. It isn't that bad, maybe twice a year I have to chisle a
small spot out and replace it with new. My problem is that the
original bag of unused grout seems to have gone bad. Does unused grout
go bad? I mix up a little pot, let it sit for about ten minutes and
then apply it. The next week it can be dug out from between the tiles
with a car key. It apears to never have set up although it is hard and
dry there is no strength to it. It's more like plaster of parris but
softer. I guess I should just break down and go looking for some new
grout but this stuf is pink and probably hard to find. Also I can't
believe grout has an experation date but I guess it does. This stuff
has begun to clump and I have to sift it before mixing to get the lumps
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hallerb, Elizabeth wrote:
Why would Part of my grout Flake when some is not?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...out-91225-.htm

Grout in Kitchen Keeps Coming Out. Ryan Home Repair 8 November 10th 05 06:51 PM
Grout Sealant cover Home Ownership 9 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Grout Sealant cover Home Repair 10 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
tile grout options pinya Home Repair 9 February 22nd 05 09:21 PM
Shower tile - verticle seams - caulk or grout? dango Home Repair 3 September 26th 04 11:07 PM