Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

Default Ice on the Windows!

I live in a suburb of Chicago, It is around -3 degree Fahrenheit, I
wake up this morning and found ice on all of my bedroom and kitchen
windows. What does this indicate? Do I have leaky windows? I kept
humidifier (aprilaire - attached with my furnace) to 35%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DONT PANIC! the weather is extreme, are your windows dual pane?

in any case the humidifier is causing this its normal so dont worry
about it.

with higher humidity you can keep the thermostat lower

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"c_shah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a suburb of Chicago, It is around -3 degree Fahrenheit, I
wake up this morning and found ice on all of my bedroom and kitchen
windows. What does this indicate? Do I have leaky windows? I kept
humidifier (aprilaire - attached with my furnace) to 35%.

Sounds about normal for that combination of outdoor temperature and high
humidity. Try setting it a bit lower if it is a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

These windows are new..they are thermopane windows (double pane
windows) I was just curious because they were new and might have start
leaking

Thanks for your reply

Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"c_shah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a suburb of Chicago, It is around -3 degree Fahrenheit, I
wake up this morning and found ice on all of my bedroom and kitchen
windows. What does this indicate? Do I have leaky windows? I kept
humidifier (aprilaire - attached with my furnace) to 35%.

I've seen this happen much more than usual when people close the shades at
night, particularly if the shades are insulating type. You need to get the
warm air to flow up and over the glass. If so, just cracking open, or
opening completely, the shades while you sleep will greatly reduce the
amount of ice that builds up by morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
with higher humidity you can keep the thermostat lower

And LOSE money.

Nick

Ahh the heat loss is the same at 10% humidity or 50%

BUT!

The occupants will be more comfy at a lower temperature, with higher
humidity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jappy

Its condensation on your windows that is freezing. Its normal for
extreme low temps. When the temp is not extremely low it will be
just water/condensation on your windows.

On 19 Feb 2006 04:07:02 -0800, "c_shah"
wrote:

I live in a suburb of Chicago, It is around -3 degree Fahrenheit, I
wake up this morning and found ice on all of my bedroom and kitchen
windows. What does this indicate? Do I have leaky windows? I kept
humidifier (aprilaire - attached with my furnace) to 35%.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

c_shah wrote:
I live in a suburb of Chicago, It is around -3 degree Fahrenheit, I
wake up this morning and found ice on all of my bedroom and kitchen
windows. What does this indicate? Do I have leaky windows? I kept
humidifier (aprilaire - attached with my furnace) to 35%.

It means the dew point of the air in your home is greater than the
temperatures of the inside of those windows and that that temperatures is
below 32º F.

If it is just an occasional thing, it is nothing to worry about. If it
happens often it will damage the windows.(the wood parts)

Correction means decreasing the humidity and therefore the dew point and
or increasing the temperature of the inside surface of the window.

The first means reducing the humidity and or the air temperature. The
second means maybe adding a storm window or using multi-paned windows where
there are single panes now.

If you have curtains or drapes over the windows and close them at night,
it will help keep the room warm, but it means the inside window surface will
be colder yet the air's dew point will be the same. Increasing air
circulation to the windows can help.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
twfsa

If there wood windows I would be wiping out the moisture when the ice
melts,so the wood does not have to be re-stained or painted, keep the drapes
or blinds closed when the temp gets into the single digits. I think that ice
build up when the temps dips to single digit is inevidenable, the only way
to cure this is with a storm window, outside the new windows, that would
reduce the glass temp on the inside of the house.

A humidity guage would be nice to see what the actual humidity is in your
house.

I have the same problem and do not run the power humidifer in the winter and
still have what is considered normal humidity in the house in the winter
months. I do wipe out the water as needed and about every 3 years re-finish
the lower wood sill of the windows. My windows are thermopane.

Tom

"c_shah" wrote in message
oups.com...
These windows are new..they are thermopane windows (double pane
windows) I was just curious because they were new and might have start
leaking

Thanks for your reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

with higher humidity you can keep the thermostat lower

And LOSE money.

Ahh the heat loss is the same at 10% humidity or 50%

Not really, since evaporating water takes energy and houses leak air.
To raise indoor RH AND reduce the fuel bill, caulk the house.

Nick

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair
jmagerl

As the outdoor temperature drops, you are supposed to drop your indoor
humidity. This is from the Aprilaire web site:
Outdoor Temp(F) Humidistat setting(%)
40 45
30 40
20 35
10 30
0 25
-10 20
-20 15

The purpose of doing that is prevent condensation on cold surfaces (IE:
windows). I had one house that had frost develop on the wallboard nail
heads. OF course the indoor humidty was way too high and it was -15F outside
(Chicago area)

"c_shah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a suburb of Chicago, It is around -3 degree Fahrenheit, I
wake up this morning and found ice on all of my bedroom and kitchen
windows. What does this indicate? Do I have leaky windows? I kept
humidifier (aprilaire - attached with my furnace) to 35%.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

wrote:

I live in a suburb of Chicago, It is around -3 degree Fahrenheit, I
wake up this morning and found ice on all of my bedroom and kitchen
windows. What does this indicate? Do I have leaky windows? I kept
humidifier (aprilaire - attached with my furnace) to 35%.

No. Humidity from indoors condenses and freezes on the windows--no so
uncommon. Make sure to wipe up the water as soon as it melts to
prevent damage. Ideal humidity is 50%.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dunno about the 50% RH being "ideal." IME, it's whatever's sufficient
to avoid respiratory problems, without notable condensation on windows
of cooler parts of house.

In the case I'm familiar with, those windows are low-e, with original
el-cheapo storms, and the humidistat is set to around 25% RH.

If moisture is condensing on glass, consider what's happening inside
wall cavities and above the ceiling too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

I read one of the posts mentioning that when outside temperature is too
cold you should change the humidifier setting to around 25%. But I have
aprilaire automatic humidifier (model 600) and it says that computer
controlled and has been installed right before return air enteres into
the furnace. Do I still have to adjust the humidifer settings?

Thanks in advance

Original Poster

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On 20 Feb 2006 09:51:08 -0800, "c_shah"
wrote:

I read one of the posts mentioning that when outside temperature is too
cold you should change the humidifier setting to around 25%. But I have
aprilaire automatic humidifier (model 600) and it says that computer
controlled and has been installed right before return air enteres into
the furnace. Do I still have to adjust the humidifer settings?

Thanks in advance

Original Poster

Keep the air around 50% for the best comfort. This is also best for
furniture and electronic equipment. Twenty-five percent is very dry.
Cooler air holds less water than warmer air. Converting liquid water
to water vapor requires adding lots of energy. Cover ting solid water
(ice) to liquid water requires energy, but not nearly as much. You
can increase humidly by using vaporizers or lots of plants.

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Google glitch in posting to RCM [email protected] Metalworking 16 January 10th 06 07:05 PM
Vinyl Windows - Am I getting ripped off? kwest Home Repair 15 January 2nd 06 07:24 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM