Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kulpa

Default How to properly install insulation under the floor

Greetings,
The house I just moved into has a crawlspace and NO insulation between
the floor joists. With gas heat as expensive as it is now, I want to
install the insulation that SHOULD have been there in the first place.

Does the paper backing on the insulation go up against the underside of
the floor, or down, so I'm looking at it has I install it from inside
the crawl space?

Also, since the joists are 2x12's, should I get 12" thick insulation?

Thanks - just trying to do it right the first time.
steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Newfie

Paper goes down. Some come with flaps that allow you to staple the
paper onto your joists to hold the insulation in place.

Chub wrote:
paper toward heated space

"Steve Kulpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,
The house I just moved into has a crawlspace and NO insulation between
the floor joists. With gas heat as expensive as it is now, I want to
install the insulation that SHOULD have been there in the first place.

Does the paper backing on the insulation go up against the underside of
the floor, or down, so I'm looking at it has I install it from inside
the crawl space?

Also, since the joists are 2x12's, should I get 12" thick insulation?

Thanks - just trying to do it right the first time.
steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

I think Chub was right - paper towards the living space, which means UP
in your case. If you can put 12" of insulation, go for it. If it's a
dirt crawlspace, you'll want to put some sort of moisture barrier
between the dirt and your house too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"louie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think Chub was right - paper towards the living space, which means UP
in your case. If you can put 12" of insulation, go for it. If it's a
dirt crawlspace, you'll want to put some sort of moisture barrier
between the dirt and your house too.

Use encapsulated insulation. Plastic bag surrounds whole batt. Can be
installed either way and has built in moisture barrior. Less irritating to
handle as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kulpa

I can put 12" of insulation there, but w/ the paper up (as I gather it
should be), that would mean having to push
my stapler (and my hand) up through the insulation. do the wire braces
you buy and just 'stuff' between the joists work well in this case, or
are they more for dryer environments like attics, etc.

also, there is black plastic on the ground inside the crawlspace - so
the builder did SOMETHING right.

thanks for all the replies,
steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

"PipeDown" wrote in message
k.net...

"louie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think Chub was right - paper towards the living space, which means UP
in your case. If you can put 12" of insulation, go for it. If it's a
dirt crawlspace, you'll want to put some sort of moisture barrier
between the dirt and your house too.

Use encapsulated insulation. Plastic bag surrounds whole batt. Can be
installed either way and has built in moisture barrior. Less irritating
to handle as well.

that stuff cost alot more doesn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

I nailed short nails into the joists and strung steel wires between the
nails as I put in the insulation. Good to do a little at a time as your
arms get tired quickly working overhead.

"Steve Kulpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,
The house I just moved into has a crawlspace and NO insulation between
the floor joists. With gas heat as expensive as it is now, I want to
install the insulation that SHOULD have been there in the first place.

Does the paper backing on the insulation go up against the underside of
the floor, or down, so I'm looking at it has I install it from inside
the crawl space?

Also, since the joists are 2x12's, should I get 12" thick insulation?

Thanks - just trying to do it right the first time.
steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

PipeDown wrote:
"louie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think Chub was right - paper towards the living space, which means
UP in your case. If you can put 12" of insulation, go for it. If
it's a dirt crawlspace, you'll want to put some sort of moisture
barrier between the dirt and your house too.

Use encapsulated insulation. Plastic bag surrounds whole batt. Can
be installed either way and has built in moisture barrior. Less
irritating to handle as well.

Note: much of that encapsulated insulation is encapsulated only to make
handling it easier and it does not have any vapor barrier as the plastic has
small holes all over it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Newfie wrote:
Paper goes down. Some come with flaps that allow you to staple the
paper onto your joists to hold the insulation in place.

Sorry, vapor barrier towards the warm side. Unless you are in Florida
or south you put the vapor barrier towards the living area, in this case up.
You use the metal wires made to hold the stuff up there for this
installation.

Chub wrote:
paper toward heated space

"Steve Kulpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,
The house I just moved into has a crawlspace and NO insulation
between the floor joists. With gas heat as expensive as it is
now, I want to install the insulation that SHOULD have been there
in the first place.

Does the paper backing on the insulation go up against the
underside of the floor, or down, so I'm looking at it has I
install it from inside the crawl space?

Also, since the joists are 2x12's, should I get 12" thick
insulation?

Thanks - just trying to do it right the first time.
steve

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

do you know if they buried the insulation? in alaska we burythat stiff
foam insulation under the foundation, sometimes.