Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Nospam

Default What paint mask?

I have some respiratory issues. Can anyone recommend a good quality paint
mask that will prevent the inhalation of odors from paint.

Regards,

Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Are you spraying or what, a 3m Fume cartrige filter mask you get for apx
16-30 works ok. But it is not clean air. For all day spraying a air hood
with remote supply is best, for ocasional exposure a 3m cartrige unit
works fairly well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Nospam wrote:
I have some respiratory issues. Can anyone recommend a good quality paint
mask that will prevent the inhalation of odors from paint.

Regards,

Robert

You might want to check with your physician first, as using masks
requires a certain respiratory capacity. If you have had resp. function
tests, the results should help your doc give you an answer. What kind
of paint do you anticipate using?
Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Norminn wrote:
Nospam wrote:
I have some respiratory issues. Can anyone recommend a good quality paint
mask that will prevent the inhalation of odors from paint.

Regards,

Robert

You might want to check with your physician first, as using masks
requires a certain respiratory capacity. If you have had resp. function
tests, the results should help your doc give you an answer. What kind
of paint do you anticipate using?

In my experience the type of paint makes an incredible difference. I
once used a exterior primer and a 3M fume mask. The fumes penetrated
the filter in a matter of minutes. The filter cartridge still smells
like the alcohol solvent. I had to toss it.
If I had respiratory problems I would make or buy an air supplied mask
(sometimes called a fresh air mask) that uses a full mask that is
supplied via a tube with fresh air delivered via a squirrel cage fan.
Use lots of ventilation and protective clothes, shower immediately etc.
or hire someone else and leave the house for a week/month.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can anyone recommend a good quality paint mask that will prevent the inhalation of odors from paint.

No specific models; I'll just echo what earlier posters said about a
cartridge-type filter rated for fumes, not dust/particles. Also, I'd
recommend "Kid's Room" paint - don't remember which brand, but it was
one of the big names. We recently painted a living room with this, and
it had some smell, but not nearly as much as standard paint. Or look
for other low-VOC paints - maybe not available at the big home centers,
but if you look around, they're available. Or look into milk paint -
very safe.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped

In my experience the type of paint makes an incredible difference. I
once used a exterior primer and a 3M fume mask. The fumes penetrated
the filter in a matter of minutes. The filter cartridge still smells
like the alcohol solvent. I had to toss it.
If I had respiratory problems I would make or buy an air supplied mask
(sometimes called a fresh air mask) that uses a full mask that is
supplied via a tube with fresh air delivered via a squirrel cage fan.
Use lots of ventilation and protective clothes, shower immediately etc.
or hire someone else and leave the house for a week/month.
Richard

Any kind of filter type mask is a barrier to breathing - it requires
more effort. Someone with reduced resp. capacity is limited a bit more,
although it might not be to a difficult degree. In any case, I would
save the paint job for good weather when the house can be left open for
ventillation - fall is nice, dry weather so the paint dries quicker and
fumes can be replaced with fresh air. Of course, if one's resp.
capacity is severely limited, the solvent fumes are replacing a tad bit
of oxygen the person is already deprived of. Pacing one's self, to
spread out the work, might also be necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Go to a good paint store...not sure what you have in your area but some
of the stores are Dunn Edwards, Sinclair, Hirshfields, H.I.S., Pioneer,
Benjamin Moore, etc, that only sell paint and professional painting
equipment. I believe you are looking for some sort of carbon filter
cartridge but it has been too long since I painted to remember. Like
someone said, it will tell on the product label what it's for. Get the
particulate filter too, which goes over the carbon cartridge. it will
keep it free of dust and paint spatters so it works better, even if
you're not spraying. Be sure to get a mask that fits good...if it's
too big it will not seal to your face. Also, if you can find it, some
co's make low or no VOC paint that has less toxic solvent etc in it.
(Volatile Organic Compounds=VOC).

spray paint vs hand paint wendi Home Repair 19 July 21st 04 01:36 PM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM
Is there a machine to paint trim/baseboard ? Mark & Shauna Home Ownership 10 July 26th 03 02:35 PM