Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Default What paint mask?

Norminn wrote:
Nospam wrote:
I have some respiratory issues. Can anyone recommend a good quality paint
mask that will prevent the inhalation of odors from paint.

Regards,

Robert

You might want to check with your physician first, as using masks
requires a certain respiratory capacity. If you have had resp. function
tests, the results should help your doc give you an answer. What kind
of paint do you anticipate using?

In my experience the type of paint makes an incredible difference. I
once used a exterior primer and a 3M fume mask. The fumes penetrated
the filter in a matter of minutes. The filter cartridge still smells
like the alcohol solvent. I had to toss it.
If I had respiratory problems I would make or buy an air supplied mask
(sometimes called a fresh air mask) that uses a full mask that is
supplied via a tube with fresh air delivered via a squirrel cage fan.
Use lots of ventilation and protective clothes, shower immediately etc.
or hire someone else and leave the house for a week/month.
Richard