Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default What paint mask?

clipped

In my experience the type of paint makes an incredible difference. I
once used a exterior primer and a 3M fume mask. The fumes penetrated
the filter in a matter of minutes. The filter cartridge still smells
like the alcohol solvent. I had to toss it.
If I had respiratory problems I would make or buy an air supplied mask
(sometimes called a fresh air mask) that uses a full mask that is
supplied via a tube with fresh air delivered via a squirrel cage fan.
Use lots of ventilation and protective clothes, shower immediately etc.
or hire someone else and leave the house for a week/month.
Richard

Any kind of filter type mask is a barrier to breathing - it requires
more effort. Someone with reduced resp. capacity is limited a bit more,
although it might not be to a difficult degree. In any case, I would
save the paint job for good weather when the house can be left open for
ventillation - fall is nice, dry weather so the paint dries quicker and
fumes can be replaced with fresh air. Of course, if one's resp.
capacity is severely limited, the solvent fumes are replacing a tad bit
of oxygen the person is already deprived of. Pacing one's self, to
spread out the work, might also be necessary.