Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Grinder vs. Self leveling

I am doing some remodeling work. The house had an addition put on some
time again, guessing about 25 yrs. I removed a wall between the two
and wish to install parquet floor in, the problem is that the concrete
does not transition smoothly from one room to the next. There is about
an inch difference in elevation. Would it be easier and cheaper to
grind down the high spot, or buy some self leveling compound and just
flash the floor with that. It seems that the self leveling compund
would be rather expensive, do to the coverage area that needs to be
fixed. Let me know your thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing some remodeling work. The house had an addition put on some
time again, guessing about 25 yrs. I removed a wall between the two
and wish to install parquet floor in, the problem is that the concrete
does not transition smoothly from one room to the next. There is about
an inch difference in elevation. Would it be easier and cheaper to
grind down the high spot, or buy some self leveling compound and just
flash the floor with that. It seems that the self leveling compund
would be rather expensive, do to the coverage area that needs to be
fixed. Let me know your thoughts.

???? Is there a hump at the transition point, or is the floor simply higher
on one side of where the wall used to be? (and I hope you didn't remove a
load-bearing wall without adding something back to hold up that part of the
roof structure...)

If one of the floors is simply at a different level, but the floors are
otherwise level, I'd infill with layers of backer board or even plywood over
felt, and use fiber tape and leveling compound at the transition point so a
crack doesn't telegraph through. Is the parquet you were planning on rated
for use on concrete? You may be looking at putting down underlayment anyway.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR

I'm not expert at laying tile, but the expert I hired during a renovation
always made his first project to absolutely level the floor. In one room, a
newly enclosed ex-patio, one end had to come up about two inches on one
side. He won't do a tile job without first precisely leveling the floor,
and his final results are beautiful.

Given that, if you want a quality job you'll have to level the addition
anyway, so you might as well level it with the adjacent room. -- Regards

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing some remodeling work. The house had an addition put on some
time again, guessing about 25 yrs. I removed a wall between the two
and wish to install parquet floor in, the problem is that the concrete
does not transition smoothly from one room to the next. There is about
an inch difference in elevation. Would it be easier and cheaper to
grind down the high spot, or buy some self leveling compound and just
flash the floor with that. It seems that the self leveling compund
would be rather expensive, do to the coverage area that needs to be
fixed. Let me know your thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Slim Bastard

The finished prod can never be better than the base, do the base right and
the rest will follow. A commercial grinder is used to remove trowel marks,
not irregularities. It is expensive and ackward to use a grinder.

"JimR" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm not expert at laying tile, but the expert I hired during a renovation
always made his first project to absolutely level the floor. In one room,
a newly enclosed ex-patio, one end had to come up about two inches on one
side. He won't do a tile job without first precisely leveling the floor,
and his final results are beautiful.

Given that, if you want a quality job you'll have to level the addition
anyway, so you might as well level it with the adjacent room. -- Regards

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing some remodeling work. The house had an addition put on some
time again, guessing about 25 yrs. I removed a wall between the two
and wish to install parquet floor in, the problem is that the concrete
does not transition smoothly from one room to the next. There is about
an inch difference in elevation. Would it be easier and cheaper to
grind down the high spot, or buy some self leveling compound and just
flash the floor with that. It seems that the self leveling compund
would be rather expensive, do to the coverage area that needs to be
fixed. Let me know your thoughts.

Leveling Concrete Floor James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 5 October 26th 05 04:17 PM
leveling floor david Home Repair 4 June 20th 05 01:33 PM
How much concrete do I need? orangetrader Home Repair 8 November 4th 04 12:55 PM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM