Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Default Baseboards - can they be glued?

This may be a basic question well known in the fields but I've only seen the one
way.

When installing the pre-formed light wood baseboards, I've only seen them
STAPLED with narrow crown staples. I had to pull some out to re-do a floor and
need to re-install them. I sanded and painted them while they were off. While
I could use my compressor and air stapler easily enough, I was wondering if it
was ever common to use any glues such as Liquid Nails or contact cement?

Having to brace the boards until glue sets might be a bit more cumbersome than
stapling but if I staple, I would have to come back and fill in the indentations
and re-paint over the repairs. This would be less an issue for new construction
where everything needs to be painted anyway but I have a large incentive to not
want to have to do this.

My main question is - is there any problem I don't know with the gluing? And
what glue is best?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've done this, don't know if it's kosher or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Apropos" wrote in message
I sanded and painted them while they were off. While
I could use my compressor and air stapler easily enough, I was wondering
if it
was ever common to use any glues such as Liquid Nails or contact cement?

Having to brace the boards until glue sets might be a bit more cumbersome
than
stapling but if I staple, I would have to come back and fill in the
indentations
and re-paint over the repairs.

Glue and bracing is a problem that can be overcome. What about 5 or 10
years from now if you decide to remove them again for some reason? You may
make quite a mess doing that.

Try using 18 gauge brads instead of the staples. Brads care barely be seen
and may be a good compromise.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:49:42 -0500, "Apropos"
wrote:

[...]

When I installed baseboards in my basement I used finishing nails.
However one wall is poured concrete so I used construction adhesive
(Liquid Nails) and used sandbags to hold the baseboard against the
wall for 24 hours. It has held up well for over 10 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jeffc

wrote:

This may be a basic question well known in the fields but I've only seen
the one
way.

When installing the pre-formed light wood baseboards, I've only seen them
STAPLED with narrow crown staples. I had to pull some out to re-do a
floor and
need to re-install them. I sanded and painted them while they were off.
While
I could use my compressor and air stapler easily enough, I was wondering
if it
was ever common to use any glues such as Liquid Nails or contact cement?

I had to use glue once when there was too little room on the trim to nail
into (could not nail into floor - it was tiled). I did have a problem - the
paint bubbled up afterward. I suppose because I didn't let the glue dry
long enough? But you have already painted so won't be a problem for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Apropos

Thanks for the info.

I will likely try the brads, since they will make much less a hole in the
baseboard not really requiring cover-up.

wrote:

This may be a basic question well known in the fields but I've only seen the

one
way.

When installing the pre-formed light wood baseboards, I've only seen them
STAPLED with narrow crown staples. I had to pull some out to re-do a floor

and
need to re-install them. I sanded and painted them while they were off.

While
I could use my compressor and air stapler easily enough, I was wondering if

it
was ever common to use any glues such as Liquid Nails or contact cement?

No .... it's uncommon. Not wrong, just not common. Usual practice
is 18 guage brads -- 1 9/16th".

Having to brace the boards until glue sets might be a bit more cumbersome

than
stapling but if I staple, I would have to come back and fill in the

indentations
and re-paint over the repairs.

My main question is - is there any problem I don't know with the gluing?

If you need to remove one ... you'll have a problem.

Ken

Baseboards - measure twice, cut four times and then fake it. Fred Woodworking 13 August 31st 05 05:07 PM
Wet Baseboards Samiel Home Ownership 3 December 9th 04 06:17 PM
Opening glued plastic enclosures Wild Bill Electronics Repair 4 September 1st 04 01:10 PM
Paint Baseboards Before Carpet? Rev_Scuggins Home Repair 7 July 18th 04 08:35 PM
glued on mirror help James Dean Woodworking 6 July 17th 04 09:18 PM