Posted to alt.home.repair
lefty

Default Compressor/Nailer Advice

I'm starting on several projects that will require finish work. All of
my windows will be replaced. And I'm remodeling my kitchen/dining
area. I will have all my window casement to replace, some door
casement, and all of my baseboard on the main level. When I finished
my lower level, I hand nailed the trim. Never again!

I'm shopping for a compressor and finish nailer. I already have a
Dewalt 18-gauge brad nailer (D51238K). It was free with a table saw I
bought last year. I'm currently debating between the Dewalt D55155 Air
Compressor and a Porter Cable Pancake compressor. If I go with the PC,
I can get 2 or 3 PC nailers in a combo deal. If I go with Dewalt, I
have to buy a finish nailer. Either the 15-gauge or 16-gauge.

Any experiences that point one way or the other?

Should I get a 15-gauge or 16-gauge finish nailer?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"lefty" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Go with the 15-gauge angled. Its a good compliment to the brad nailer you
have. Angled will get into tight spots better plus you will have more nail
choices. The Dewalt aircompressor used to be, or is, made by Emglo I think
(Some Dewalts anyway). Its an oil lube design. It will be a bit quieter and
will last longer. I also like the design. Should do everything you are
asking of it. The PC pancake will also work but will be louder, need to
re-charge more frequently, etc. Also, the dewalt looks like the guts are
protected by a plate and the fittings are mounted to that plate, the pancake
IIRC is not like that. If that's the case the pancake is likely more prone
to damage. The PC is a great value though. If I wasn't too price sensitive,
if it were me, I would go with the Dewalk (Goven your two options). If I was
shopping on price alone then the PC would be my choice. Good luck.
-B

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Steve,

I personally would buy a belt driven compressor. Once the pancakes
piston or connector rod breaks, it's history. If the compressor breaks
on the belt driven compressor you can replace it. Plus you have more
air capacity. On the nailer, of all I own if I could only keep one it
would be the angled (Stanley Bostitch SN60FN) nailer. Replacement parts
are easy to find and it's easy to work on, a very good nailer. Hope
this helps.

lefty wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joey" wrote in message
Steve,

I personally would buy a belt driven compressor. Once the pancakes piston
or connector rod breaks, it's history. If the compressor breaks on the
belt driven compressor you can replace it. Plus you have more air
capacity.

Sure the belt driven compressor is more durable, but the better ones are not
very portable. He is going to be working in every room of the house. He is
also doing a home improvement, not running a production shop. The pancake
makes a lot of sense that way. Mine has been flawless for 5 years now. It
does what I need to do at reasonable cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lefty

Talked to a guy at Seven Corners Hardware in St. Paul, MN tonight. He
recommended the Dewalt D55155 compressor over PC pancake compressors.
He also recommended the Hitachi finish and brad nailers. He said
Dewalt, PC, etc. are all made by the same company. They see too many
problems. Hitachi and Senco are the way to go. He just liked the
Hitachi products more. Another contractor supply store recommende the
Hitachi as well.

So as of right now, my package would include:

Dewalt D55155 compressor
Milton Flex hose, 1/4"
Hitachi 15 gauge finish nailer
Hitachi 18 gauge brad nailer

Unfortunately, none of this stuff will ever be on sale. But I have a
month or so before I will be forced to purchase. I'll keep my eyes
open for any deals. 7 Corners hardware is priced the same as Amazon,
Home Depot, and others. Advantage is they service everything they
sell. I will have to put money in the hands of the local guys, I
think.

Check them out:

www.7corners.com