Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

Default FEMA

After Hurricane Wilma, I sustained a minimum of $14800 damage to my barrel
tile roof. After my deductible, the insurance company gave me 11535 (3265.00
deductible). My only income is from Social Security so I applied to FEMA to
help me pay the deductible. I read in the papers and heard on TV how they
were giving away $2000 debit cards to everyone in Louisiana and Mississippi
among other goodies. I understand that a lot of these people are on Welfare
but I also understand their welfare checks are larger than my Social
Security check which I have to live on. At first FEMA referred me to SBA
for a low interest loan. I appealed and explained that there was no way I
could repay a loan on my income. They then sent an inspector down to verify
my damage. A month later they determined that I didn't have enough damage to
justify them giving me any aid. $14,800 damage isn't enough damage to a
person living on 1098 a month? Not only that, the lowest estimate I have
received to repair the roof is $17000. I'm trying to get my insurance
company to re-evaluate and give more money towards the roof but the fact
remains that I still have 3265 deductible which I can't afford. I don't want
to wave the flag or anything like that but I served 4 years in the U.S.
Navy, I paid taxes all my life and never got anything for free from the
government. What is the criteria the government uses to determine who gets
and who doesn't get? I have the answer in my mind but I won't put it in
writing.