Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

Default Bathfitter

anyone have an opinion on them? their work? reputation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
brandystew

Had them re-do our bathroom a few years ago.
Very satisfied.

"SeaKan" wrote in message
anyone have an opinion on them? their work? reputation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"brandystew" wrote in message
Had them re-do our bathroom a few years ago.
Very satisfied.

Did you pay $7,000 too? I think the OP said that's what he paid and I told
him that I could get a contractor to come in and gut the bathroom from the
floor up (new ceramic floor, new toilet, vanity and sink and a Jacuzzi tub)
for that price.....

"SeaKan" wrote in message
anyone have an opinion on them? their work? reputation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

first of all, what is an OP?

second, I doubt that a total "redo" job would cost as little as $7 grand.
probably more like 11 grand. i say that b/c of the labor of the tiling and
drywall/greenboard. and the labor of the rest.

"SeaKan" wrote in message
anyone have an opinion on them? their work? reputation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:02:26 -0500, "SeaKan"
wrote:

first of all, what is an OP?

Maybe I didn't eat lunch, but something about this sounds very
demanding.

There was a thread about bathfitter less than 2 weeks ago. Do you
know about groups.google? It will all be in there.

"SeaKan" wrote in message
anyone have an opinion on them? their work? reputation?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"SeaKan" wrote in message
first of all, what is an OP?

The Original Poster, the person starting the thread.

second, I doubt that a total "redo" job would cost as little as $7 grand.
probably more like 11 grand. i say that b/c of the labor of the tiling
and drywall/greenboard. and the labor of the rest.

I had mind done for less than $2000. Well, it was a few years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"SeaKan" wrote in message
first of all, what is an OP?

The Original Poster, the person starting the thread.

second, I doubt that a total "redo" job would cost as little as $7 grand.
probably more like 11 grand. i say that b/c of the labor of the tiling
and drywall/greenboard. and the labor of the rest.

I had mind done for less than $2000. Well, it was a few years ago.

I would do it myself now, but I had it done 8 years ago and it cost me
$2400. Now, I DID buy the tub, toilet and sink/vanity. Those were less than
$1,000. (Tub was one piece with surround).

My point being that for Bathfitters to come in and basically slap a molded
piece over the existing tub (yes, I know there is a little more involved)
and then charge $7,000 is just re-god-damn-diculous......

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

My point being that for Bathfitters to come in and basically slap a molded
piece over the existing tub (yes, I know there is a little more involved)
and then charge $7,000 is just re-god-damn-diculous......

I agree with that. Some people either don't have a clue as to what
something is worth and/or they just don't want the fuss of a normal week or
so for a real refurb and will accept a piece of plastic in its place.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

My point being that for Bathfitters to come in and basically slap a
molded piece over the existing tub (yes, I know there is a little more
involved) and then charge $7,000 is just re-god-damn-diculous......

I agree with that. Some people either don't have a clue as to what
something is worth and/or they just don't want the fuss of a normal week
or so for a real refurb and will accept a piece of plastic in its place.

i think for what you get with bathfitter, it is worth it. the week
disruption (or more, depding on a contractor's dependability) is a major
factor. only one bathroom, no family in town, toddler, etc. plus, 6 grand
versus 12 for a full remodel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
thehick

"i think for what you get with bathfitter, it is worth it. the
week disruption (or more, depding on a contractor's dependability)
is a major factor. only one bathroom, no family in town,
toddler, etc. plus, 6 grand versus 12 for a full remodel."

I did use bathfitter for exactly those reasons. now that it's
over, i regret it. I paid $3000 cdn for the tub part. No other
work done in the bathroom. What you end up with is
some fiberglass/plastic stuck on the walls and a tub insert.

A new tub/shower costs about $1000. Faucets another $300.
So I paid $2000 for labour. Was supposed to be 1 day.
Didn't turn out that way due to poor workmanship on the
part of the installer. But let's leave that aside. What you get
is a cheap looking bathroom. OK. It won't leak and they've
done it fast. If you're rich, and can pay $7,000, you probably
won't be happy with the look. And if you're that rich
and can afford to throw away $7,000, you probably have
another bathroom in the house. Or you could remodel the
basement and add one and then do the main bathroom
nicely with tile or something.

This bathfitter company basically cheats people who don't know
much or have ZERO time to research. One factor that helps
them in gaining contracts is that the plumbing shops when they
quote a price are looking for the moon too. If you can do
the contracting yourself, a beautiful bathroom reno doesn't
cost half what the bidders want.
....thehick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"SeaKan" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

My point being that for Bathfitters to come in and basically slap a
molded piece over the existing tub (yes, I know there is a little more
involved) and then charge $7,000 is just re-god-damn-diculous......

I agree with that. Some people either don't have a clue as to what
something is worth and/or they just don't want the fuss of a normal week
or so for a real refurb and will accept a piece of plastic in its place.

i think for what you get with bathfitter, it is worth it. the week
disruption (or more, depding on a contractor's dependability) is a major
factor. only one bathroom, no family in town, toddler, etc. plus, 6
grand versus 12 for a full remodel.

I'm glad people are happy with it. I guess that's why they (Bathfitters)
have a commercial on TV every 5 minutes because of all the money they are
making off of people that don't know any better. Not calling them stupid.
Just uninformed.

Let's take an example. Get the most expensive tub Lowe's carries ($1500
Jacuzzi):

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...959&lpage=none

Most would not get a Jacuzzi tub. They would get a regular tub with a
surround kit or one of the tubs with the surround and everything in one
piece. Let's say one of THOSE costs $1,000. I'm not saying there is no such
thing as an unscrupulous contractor, but any GOOD contractor is not going to
charge you $5,000 to change out that tub. Even is they DID you are still
coming out ahead and getting a real tub and not a "peel and stick" tub.
PLUS, I don't see why a contractor couldn't do that in one day. I know,
there are certain cases where maybe the floor is weak or the walls may need
to be replaced and THAT may take a couple of days, but it still shouldn't
cost over $5,000.

I don't know. Maybe I need to change professions! Get a Bathfitters
franchise and retire in 10 years......

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"thehick" wrote in message
If you're rich, and can pay $7,000, you probably
won't be happy with the look. And if you're that rich
and can afford to throw away $7,000, you probably have
another bathroom in the house. Or you could remodel the
basement and add one and then do the main bathroom
nicely with tile or something.

You don't have to be "rich" to spend $7000. Although a livable income is
needed, maybe a person has to adjust priorities if a re-modeled bathroom is
important. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
thehick

"You don't have to be "rich" to spend $7000"

Of course, regular folk can spend $7000. Like on a car
downpayment. or for a roof and a driveway. But they
wouldn't be able to spend it on something worth $2000.
Let's get real. $7000 is about $5000 too much. Last
car I bought was worth $30K. I could have paid more
if I'd wanted too, and the dealer would have been
real happy, but I didn't. I tried to pay as little as
possible. That's generally what people without
excess money do. Isn't it?

If you need a bathroom fix-up and you can go to Sears
and see the shower tub enclosure will cost $1500
and I say, OK, I'll do it for $7000. Wouldn't you
go elsewhere? That's all I'm saying. These companies
charge way too much. If you're rich, then the time
saved may be more important. Working class folk
aren't rich.
....thehick