Posted to alt.home.repair
rjh959

Default Add light fixture to an existing switch that controls receptacle? part2

Ok, I'm back w/ more info. I need to add a light fixture to a switch
that currently controls 1 receptacle in the same room. Power goes to
the switch and then to the receptacle which is an "end of run". There
are no other receptacles/lights on this switch. I have full access to
the wiring via the attic. Do I connect the light fixture wiring to the
switch,the receptacle or should I do junction boxes in the attic. What
is the "right" way of doing it? Pros/cons of different ways?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ok, I'm back w/ more info. I need to add a light fixture to a switch
that currently controls 1 receptacle in the same room. Power goes to
the switch and then to the receptacle which is an "end of run". There
are no other receptacles/lights on this switch. I have full access to
the wiring via the attic. Do I connect the light fixture wiring to the
switch,the receptacle or should I do junction boxes in the attic. What
is the "right" way of doing it? Pros/cons of different ways? "

People gave you several ways of doing it, all of which are acceptable,
provided you do the work correctly. You can run the fan wiring to the
outlet and connect it there. You can run it to the switch and connect
it there. Both of those require snaking cables into walls. You can
cut the cable in the attic, install a junction box (more likely two
junction boxes because the existing cable won't be long enough) and run
the cable to the fan from there, which likely is easier. Any of
those will work and will leave you with a fan and outlet/outlets on the
same switch, if that's what you want.

Personally, the easiest and best way is to forget about using the
switch. Just find a hot line in the attic, use a junction box/boxes if
needed (you might find an existing one, like one serving an attic
light), and run a hot line direct to the fan. Then use a wireless
remote to work the fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doh! Sorry, got confused and thought it was a fan, not a light you
were installing. But, heh, maybe you can put a fan in with a light,
the remote works both.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rjh959

thanks for the reply. you confirmed what i thought and now i feel much
more confident. i went to HD during lunch and looked at a wiring book.
i think that i will go the junction box/s in the attic route.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Member, Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department

rjh959 wrote:
Ok, I'm back w/ more info. I need to add a light fixture to a switch
that currently controls 1 receptacle in the same room. Power goes to
the switch and then to the receptacle which is an "end of run". There
are no other receptacles/lights on this switch. I have full access to
the wiring via the attic. Do I connect the light fixture wiring to the
switch,the receptacle or should I do junction boxes in the attic. What
is the "right" way of doing it? Pros/cons of different ways?

Open the Over Current Protective Device that supplies the power to the
circuit and test with a solenoid tester (wiggy). Retest circuit with a
non contact proximity voltage tester. Ground out the black wires of the
circuit to the EGC to confirm the circuit is dead.
Fish a two wire plus ground cable down to the switch box from the attic.
Wire nut all of the Equipment Grounding (bonding) Conductors (EGCs)
together with a pigtail to the grounding terminal of the box.
Wire nut all of the white conductors together and tuck them back out of
the way.
Wire nut the black from the supply cable, the black from the receptacle,
and a pig tail for the switch if you want to make the receptacle always
on. OR Wire nut the black from the new lighting outlet box cable, the
black from the receptacle, and a pig tail for the switch if you want to
keep the receptacle switched.
Attach the pigtail and the single remaining black wire to the terminals
of a single pole switch.
Restore power to the circuit and test for function.

Can I Mix 40 Watts and 25 Watts Light Bulbs in One Fixture? [email protected] Home Repair 23 March 31st 18 05:02 PM
wiring confusion/ouside light James UK diy 1 May 25th 05 04:07 AM
Old house, Ceiling Light Fixture Died, No Change After New Switch ASE Home Repair 3 February 7th 05 01:57 AM
Adding a single light to a dual switch light system Tom Edelbrok Home Repair 9 January 8th 05 08:40 PM
Landing Light Switch Bodysnatcher UK diy 16 August 3rd 04 11:11 AM