Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default ? for HVAC techs on Honeywell Thermostat

"CC" wrote in message
Just had a new gas pack installed and the thermostat put in is a Honeywell
T8600D 2069 Chronotherm !V Plus programmable thermostat
The system works good and am happy with it, However, when the times are
set for return and wake, The furnace comes on at least 1 1/4 hours
before the time set. So it ends up the house is heated way longer than
wanted. Is this normal or do I possibly have a thermostat that is
defective or needs some adjustment? System replaced a gas pack installed
in '89 and also had a programmable thermostat with it. It work without any
problems and usually fired up the furnace very close to the time set.
Thanks for any information in advance.

The Chronoterms have "adaptive recovery". A round about way of explaining
it:

If you have it set for "return" say at 5 pm, the furnace will come on and
cycle before 5 o'clock in order for the house to be at the temp you selected
for 5 pm. It may come on at 4, run for a few minutes, rest, then come on
again, and so on unitl it reaches the temperature you selected. I know it
sounds hokie, but sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for your thermostat
to "get used to" you house. They really do have a "brain" in it that will
eventually adjust to how fast or slow your house heats up or cools down.

When you say it comes on 1 1/4 hours beforehand, it probably doesn't run
constantly, but cycles.

Give it a couple of weeks. It's will smooth out the "wrinkles".....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:33:04 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"
wrote:

The Chronoterms have "adaptive recovery". A round about way of explaining
it:

If you have it set for "return" say at 5 pm, the furnace will come on and
cycle before 5 o'clock in order for the house to be at the temp you selected
for 5 pm. It may come on at 4, run for a few minutes, rest, then come on
again, and so on unitl it reaches the temperature you selected. I know it
sounds hokie, but sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for your thermostat
to "get used to" you house. They really do have a "brain" in it that will
eventually adjust to how fast or slow your house heats up or cools down.

When you say it comes on 1 1/4 hours beforehand, it probably doesn't run
constantly, but cycles.

Give it a couple of weeks. It's will smooth out the "wrinkles".....

You can also over-ride the adaptive recovery so that the Chronotherm
runs like a regular thermostat. That's the way we have ours set. We
want the house to start warming up at 7:00 A.M., but don't want the
heat on before that. With our new Trane dual-fuel heat pump it only
takes a few minutes to get from 65 to 72-degrees in the morning.

You will have to read the Installer's Guide for the Chronotherm, not
the Owner's guide, to see how to change it from adaptive to
conventional. Hopefully, the installer left it with you. You have to
get into the programming menu. For ours, it's menu item 13, but yours
may be different. These Chronotherms are like little computers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The way Honeywell explained Adaptive Intelligent Recovery to me years ago,
was that the thermostat remembers how long it takes to get up to temperature
during the previous 4 days and averages it out.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"CC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:38:21 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

The way Honeywell explained Adaptive Intelligent Recovery to me years ago,
was that the thermostat remembers how long it takes to get up to temperature
during the previous 4 days and averages it out.

Apparently, it is different now. The manual explain, "When
calculating the time to turn on your heating or cooling system, it
considers (1) air temperature, (2) wall temperature, and (3) the time
you want to reach the comfort temperature."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Yea, and you can program the maximum heat temp so people can't raise the
temp over that. You can also set the thermostat to read a different
temperature than it really is.