Posted to alt.home.repair
James

Default Questons about concrete block construction??

I am doing some planning on building a small garage, about 16 X 24 ft.
It will have a concrete floor, and concrete block walls.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the most common size of concrete block ? I seem to think it
may be 8 X 8 X 16. Is that right?

2. None of the walls will be backfilled. They will all be above ground.
That being the case, should the blocks be poured with concrete? What are
the pros and cons of doing this if the walls are not backfilled?

-------------------------

Thanks for any comments !!!

--James--

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"James" wrote in message
. ..

I am doing some planning on building a small garage, about 16 X 24 ft.
It will have a concrete floor, and concrete block walls.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the most common size of concrete block ? I seem to think it
may be 8 X 8 X 16. Is that right?

2. None of the walls will be backfilled. They will all be above ground.
That being the case, should the blocks be poured with concrete? What are
the pros and cons of doing this if the walls are not backfilled?

-------------------------

Thanks for any comments !!!

Go to your local block company, not the box stores for block sizes and
styles.

James you really need to check the building code in your area. Yes your
going to be pouring some of the cells both horizontially and veritcally.
Your going to put a roof on right? What does your building code say about
footers, stems which are the foundation of a building. Where I live what
you building would require, plans, and a permit. Do your home work call
some contractors
Then see if the piggy bank is flush enough. Your talking about something
over $15k closer to 30.

Have you priced reddy mix lately? Last week it was $132 delivered 8 yard
min, 40 minutes to dump, $20 bucks a minute for anything over 40 minutes...
Ya that is 5 minutes a yard. Pro crews can handle it can you?