Posted to alt.home.repair
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Default Which saw to buy Pt2

This is a follow-up to all the great answers I got to asking which saw
to buy to frame and trim a small stereo closet in my basement. I am
choosing a Miter saw since it can do moldings and I might need to do the
trim in my basement bathroom as well. Plus, miter saws have all those
fancy knobs and gauges that I just can't resist

I am looking at the Black And Decker Firestorm which I can't seem to
find for sale anywhere.. It has 2 year warranty. Its $170. Either this one

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=8196

or this one

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=2663

Or this Craftsman for $129

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Miter+Saws

I'm not sure I really need the extension wings and stop block on the
more expensive one.

Are these acceptable choices, or perhaps if I am willing to buy these I
should go ahead and buy an __?

I recall loving my B&D cordless hammer drill. However, I am finally
realizing the torque settings are kind of SWAGish and inconsistent. Its
innaccurate. Do you think the B&D Miter saws might also be innaccurate?

And finally, am I to put this on the floor and cut, or is there a
specific type of table to buy/make? Im pretty handy but my respect for
power saws runs into the realm of fear, so the more info the better.

Thanks all!

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sean M

I just purchased the Firestorm 10" Compound Miter Saw from my local
Rona hardware store. I am very satisfied with it. I really wanted the
Dewalt but I could not justify the price. After playing with several
models I found the feel of the Frirestorm was very much like the
Dewalt. I found that many compound miter saws have a noticeable play
when you bring the blade down to cut. The Firestorm (like the Dewalt)
is good and solid. I am just using the saw to finish my basement ( I
am not a Pro or anything) this saw is more than enough for me.

By the way I found that the wings that come out of the saw are fine for
small pieces of wood, but if you are cutting 8 foot 2 by 4's you may
want to consider a miter saw stand. I got one and it make life much
easer and safer.

-Sean

Posted to alt.home.repair
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Sean M wrote:
I just purchased the Firestorm 10" Compound Miter Saw from my local
Rona hardware store. I am very satisfied with it. I really wanted the
Dewalt but I could not justify the price. After playing with several
models I found the feel of the Frirestorm was very much like the
Dewalt. I found that many compound miter saws have a noticeable play
when you bring the blade down to cut. The Firestorm (like the Dewalt)
is good and solid. I am just using the saw to finish my basement ( I
am not a Pro or anything) this saw is more than enough for me.

By the way I found that the wings that come out of the saw are fine for
small pieces of wood, but if you are cutting 8 foot 2 by 4's you may
want to consider a miter saw stand. I got one and it make life much
easer and safer.

-Sean

Nice. I talked to the B&D store today and they said the Firestorm brand
was exclusive to Lowes. But you were able to get one at Rona?

So I ask for a "Miter Saw Stand." Are they universal, or does yours
just work with your particular saw?

I like the B&D also because of the 2y warranty. The craftsmans are only
1 year, but there are two sears I can reach easily, having trouble
finding the B&D.

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sean M

Hi,

I am in Canada, perhaps Lowes has an exclusive deal with B&D in the
U.S.A. We do not have Lowes up hear (that I know of).

Miter stands seem to all be universal. Any Home Depot should have
several brands to choose from.

Good luck!

-Sean

Posted to alt.home.repair
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Sean M wrote:
Hi,

I am in Canada, perhaps Lowes has an exclusive deal with B&D in the
U.S.A. We do not have Lowes up hear (that I know of).

Miter stands seem to all be universal. Any Home Depot should have
several brands to choose from.

Good luck!

-Sean

No, not B&D, just the Firestorm labelled products. Perhaps that is
different in Canada. LOL, yea I just checked Rona.ca. They have
"Spitfire" which is exact same as "Firestorm" but with relabelling :P

I supposed they relabelled it since its $170usd at lowes but $120usd at
rona, hehe.

I was about to get a dewalt, but this 'spitfire' is going to be nice.
Of course im not sure how the warranty will work, and if they will want
to tack on a few $$$ at the border.

I live in Detroit, so I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks
for the info.

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert

Posted to alt.home.repair
JH

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
Sean M wrote:
[...]

Well I am probably going to give you more than expected but trim work is
what I do for a living. If you are going to use the saw frequently I
would stay away from B&D, Firestorm etc. I currently use and own two
DeWalt 12" Slider miter saws. A wonderful saw but comes with a price.
I have been considering the Bosch 12" Slider in the future. For you
information only here are some other tools I recommend good luck

Staple Gun I use a Senco and Hitachi. The Hitachi by far is the better
gun. It shoots up to a 1 1/2" 1/4 crown staple.

16 Gauge Brad Nailers I have a Hitachi and Paslode. Paslode has the edge.

18 Gauge Brad Nailers I use Senco, Bostich. Like the Bostich

Jigsaw Bosch and Craftsman. Would throw the Craftsman away. The Bosch
is bar far the better tool with its blades.

Good Luck
Posted to alt.home.repair
James

JH, do you find the sliding miter saw as accurate as the fixed ones ??

--james--

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message

I'm not sure I really need the extension wings and stop block on the more
expensive one.

Are these acceptable choices, or perhaps if I am willing to buy these I
should go ahead and buy an __?

I recall loving my B&D cordless hammer drill. However, I am finally
realizing the torque settings are kind of SWAGish and inconsistent. Its
innaccurate. Do you think the B&D Miter saws might also be innaccurate?

And finally, am I to put this on the floor and cut, or is there a specific
type of table to buy/make? Im pretty handy but my respect for power saws
runs into the realm of fear, so the more info the better.

If you are going to spend the $170, for a few $ more, get a DeWalt 703
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance

If you are cutting long 2 x 4s, the extensions are a big help in supporting
the wood safely while you cut. I cannot imagine NOT having them. Picture
this: You are going to operate the saw with your right hand. You want to
take 3" off of an 8' board so it has to be held down with your left hand.
Therefore, you have about 7' of wood hanging off the end of the saw and you
hand is 6" away from a blade spinning at 3500 rpm. Would you take a chance
and pull the blade down or would you like to have a little extra support?
If you don't buy the extension, at least rig up a support with a table or
sawhorse, or a drum, or something.

While on safety. I always bring the blade down to the work before I retract
it and start the motor to make the cut. It does two things. It allows me
to see that the blade is going to be on my cut line. It allows me to see it
is not going to cut my fingers or wrist. People have done it.

Stop block is handy if you are making repeated cuts. Saves a lot of time
and improves accuracy and repeatability.

It will work on the floor, but your back will appreciate a table. I have my
12" saw on a Stanley folding work table. It was about 430 IIRC at Home
Depot. Any reasonably sturdy table or a piece of plywood on saw horses
will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

JH wrote:
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

Sean M wrote:

[...]

I've swung back to the Dewalt. I think its made in America somewhere. i
have staple gun now, and its an elchepo. it never occured to me why it
was so 8hitty. how hard can it be to make a staple gun? I consider
bosch since there is a repair shop about 3 blocks from my house.

The craftsmans all said imported in their catalog. Plus they got poor
reviews on some of their saws on consumer reports, as did B&D.

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Posted to alt.home.repair
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If you are going to spend the $170, for a few $ more, get a DeWalt 703
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance

yes, thats the one I have decided on through enough reading. A
refurbished one I can get for about $150. This reaffirms it.

[...]

Ill keep this in mind.

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

If you are going to spend the $170, for a few $ more, get a DeWalt 703
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance

For the original posters use I have to agree 100 percent...in fact its
almost a No brainer..

Bob G.
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
This is a follow-up to all the great answers I got to asking which saw
to buy to frame and trim a small stereo closet in my basement. I am
choosing a Miter saw since it can do moldings and I might need to do
the trim in my basement bathroom as well. Plus, miter saws have all those
fancy knobs and gauges that I just can't resist

I am looking at the Black And Decker Firestorm which I can't seem to
find for sale anywhere.. It has 2 year warranty. Its $170. Either
this one
http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=8196

or this one

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=2663

Or this Craftsman for $129

I got my B&D 10" miter saw at WalMart for $56.00 during Christmas. It's now
back up to $96.00. Also got a steel roll-around tool bench on which to mount
the saw (and store some parts) for $27 and the only modification was a
couple of holes used to bolt down the saw.

A handy do-dad is a laser guide. It fits on the blade like a large washer
and the laser comes on via a centrifugal switch. Shines a light on the work
where the blade will cut. Got mine at Home Depot for about $25.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"HeyBub" wrote in message
A handy do-dad is a laser guide. It fits on the blade like a large washer
and the laser comes on via a centrifugal switch. Shines a light on the
work where the blade will cut. Got mine at Home Depot for about $25.

Actually, it scares the hell out of me.

I make a line on the part to be cut. I put it in place, bring the blade down
and line it up, making any small adjustments as needed. Now, with my left
hand firmly holding the board, I raise the saw a bit, squeeze the trigger
and make the cut.

With your laser setup, you start the blade spinning 3500 rpm to light the
laser, Now, with carbide tipped steel blade running, you start to move the
wood around with one hand to get it lined up to the mark. Nope, I like
having lots of fingers and don't wiggle them around moving saw blades. And
I'll be I can beat you on accuracy.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
This is a follow-up to all the great answers I got to asking which saw to
buy to frame and trim a small stereo closet in my basement. I am choosing
a Miter saw since it can do moldings and I might need to do the trim in my
basement bathroom as well. Plus, miter saws have all those fancy knobs
and gauges that I just can't resist

I am looking at the Black And Decker Firestorm which I can't seem to find
for sale anywhere.. It has 2 year warranty. Its $170. Either this one

I seem to remember you saying you needed to cut panels as well. How are
you planning to cut those?