Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Default White-Rodgers model 50A50-206 Troubleshooting Guide

Anyone know where I can find a copy of Troubleshooting Guide for a
White-Rodgers model 50A50-206 hot surface ignition control for my
furnace?

I checked the White-Rodgers web site, but that model is superseded and
they don't have any information on it.

The new model they recommend to replace it is quite different and I
doubt the info on that one would apply.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

I'm not trying to repair it. It works fine. I just want to know the
theory of operation - e.g. what sensors does it test, and in what
order.

For example: If the ignitor is burnt out (open circuit), does the
control detect this and refuse to open the gas valve? Or... does it
open the gas valve, and then detect no flame, and turn the valve back
off?

Stuff like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Almost everything goes through that board. There should be something like a
sequence of operation in your owners manual. Something like "Igniter
Lights" - "Yes" or "No".

"Bob" wrote in message
Just buy the replacement, they aren't worth trying to repair.

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
ups.com...

Anyone know where I can find a copy of Troubleshooting Guide for a
White-Rodgers model 50A50-206 hot surface ignition control for my
furnace?

I checked the White-Rodgers web site, but that model is superseded and
they don't have any information on it.

The new model they recommend to replace it is quite different and I
doubt the info on that one would apply.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

I guess I wasn't clear. I do not have an "owner's manual". I never
got one. I do not know who installed the furnace.

Even if I did have an owner's manual, I doubt the information I am
seeking would be in there.

For example: If the ignitor is burnt out (open circuit), does the
control detect this and refuse to open the gas valve? Or... does it
open the gas valve, and then detect no flame, and turn the valve back
off?

Stuff like that.

EJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 25 Jan 2006 18:33:26 -0800, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear. I do not have an "owner's manual". I never
got one. I do not know who installed the furnace.

Even if I did have an owner's manual, I doubt the information I am
seeking would be in there.

For example: If the ignitor is burnt out (open circuit), does the
control detect this and refuse to open the gas valve? Or... does it
open the gas valve, and then detect no flame, and turn the valve back
off?

I only know about stoves, but stoves do it a third way. (There is
almost always, in every area of thought, more than two ways.)

Ini a stove with a hot surface ignitor, the control supplies power to
the ignitor/valve circuit, and when current through the ignitor is
sufficient, it allows the valve to open.

If the ignitore is burned out (rare, right?) no current flows through
the valve becuase it is in series with the ignitor.

Maybe furnaces are different.

Stuff like that.

EJ

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

If the igniter doesn't light, the gas valve will not open at all

That sure sounds like the safe way for it to work.

And it seems to agree with what I observed: the igniter was not
glowing, and I couldn't smell any gas at all.

I do wonder something though. IF the gas were to turn on (but not
ignite), would the smell be detectable? Or is the vent motor so
effective that all the unburnt gas would be vented and you wouldn't
smell it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with such a
situation.

EJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
RP

Ether Jones wrote:

If the igniter doesn't light, the gas valve will not open at all

That sure sounds like the safe way for it to work.

And it seems to agree with what I observed: the igniter was not
glowing, and I couldn't smell any gas at all.

I do wonder something though. IF the gas were to turn on (but not
ignite), would the smell be detectable? Or is the vent motor so
effective that all the unburnt gas would be vented and you wouldn't
smell it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with such a
situation.

It isn't necessarily the correct info. The replacement for your obsolete
control uses timed sequences only. As a supposedly improved version this
seems to imply that the original wasn't safer than the replacement, or
IOW, the old control likely uses timed sequences as well. The gas valve
is opened 17 seconds after the HSI is energized.

BTW, the flame is detected via flame rectification, in exactly the same
way that units with separate flame probes detect the flame. The position
of the HSI in the flame is thus very important. 1/2 to 5/8 of its
surface should be in the flame.

Richard Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

The gas valve is opened 17 seconds after the HSI is energized [even
if the igniter isn't glowing]

Wow. I bunch of questions come to mind, if you would be willing to
answer:

- assuming the igniter is faulty but the control opens the gas valve
anyway, how long does the control allow the gas to flow before it
detects "no flame" and shuts it back off?

- does the control recycle through the ignition sequence, and if so,
how many times does it do this before giving up?

- what happens to all the unburnt gas? is the vent fan supposed to be
designed to have sufficient suction to thoroughly scavenge it and blow
it out the vent so none accumulates inside the home? (i.e. is that the
basis on which such a design is deemed safe?)

- where did you get the "17 seconds" info from - your direct experience
with this control, or from some white-rodgers documentation?

Thanks,

EJ

--------
(put "[nofilter]" in subject if sending email; otherwise it will be
blocked)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RP

Ether Jones wrote:

[...]

Try some creative Googling. FWIW, WR has a website.

Richard Perry

--------
(put "[nofilter]" in subject if sending email; otherwise it will be
blocked)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Try some creative Googling. FWIW, WR has a website

I always Google before posting in the newsgroups. Don't want to abuse
the generosity of the good folks here who are willing to share their
knowledge.

The WR website says the model 50A50-206 is obsolete, and they removed
any documentation that might have been there at one time. I was hoping
someone might have a copy squirreled away.

EJ

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. Bob Woodworking 14 June 5th 04 09:22 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Home Repair 16 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
Dewalt Recalls? Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 May 25th 04 12:17 PM