Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default iron sources

I am looking for some VERY LIGHT angle iron and channel. I mean, in the 24
ga. variety. It will be to receive and hold decorative panels, and will be
held in place either with spot welds or pop rivets. The angle would be
approximately 3/8" to 1" per leg, and the channel would be different widths
from 3/8" to 1".

I am going to go to my local steel yard tomorrow to pick up some other
materials, and will ask them if they know local suppliers.

Anyone here know of online sites? I have googled under light gauge angle
iron and channel, but only come up with info on heavier varieties.

I guess I could use aluminum, too.

TIA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Steve B wrote:

I am looking for some VERY LIGHT angle iron and channel. I mean, in the 24
ga. variety. It will be to receive and hold decorative panels, and will be
held in place either with spot welds or pop rivets. The angle would be
approximately 3/8" to 1" per leg, and the channel would be different widths
from 3/8" to 1".

I am going to go to my local steel yard tomorrow to pick up some other
materials, and will ask them if they know local suppliers.

Anyone here know of online sites? I have googled under light gauge angle
iron and channel, but only come up with info on heavier varieties.

I guess I could use aluminum, too.

TIA

Steve

Would any of the shapes used for drop ceiling (tiles)
be useful?
Have a browse at Home Depot for ideas.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Steve B" wrote in message
I am looking for some VERY LIGHT angle iron and channel. I mean, in the

24
ga. variety. It will be to receive and hold decorative panels, and will

be
held in place either with spot welds or pop rivets. The angle would be
approximately 3/8" to 1" per leg, and the channel would be different

widths
from 3/8" to 1".

I am going to go to my local steel yard tomorrow to pick up some other
materials, and will ask them if they know local suppliers.

Anyone here know of online sites? I have googled under light gauge angle
iron and channel, but only come up with info on heavier varieties.

I guess I could use aluminum, too.

You may get some sheet iron cut to about 2 inch strips and have them bent to
a 90 deg angle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

For sheet metal duct work, they make reinforced drive cleat and standing "S"
cleat with leg. http://www.cleatsmfg.com/Pages/CleatProducts.html

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
link.net...

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:21:39 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I am looking for some VERY LIGHT angle iron and channel. I mean, in the 24
ga. variety. It will be to receive and hold decorative panels, and will be
held in place either with spot welds or pop rivets. The angle would be
approximately 3/8" to 1" per leg, and the channel would be different widths
from 3/8" to 1".

Can't tell how much you need total. There is an auto junkyard near
here that also has lots of non-auto stuff. I can't remember if other
auto junkyards have the same stfuff or not ???, but his is just as you
drive in.

He has lawn mowers, bicycles, parking meter heads, barbecue grills,
metal building materials, and lots of other things. The stuff
changes over time. Some of the might work for you.

Especially worth it if you viist every so often and keep in mind
projects that are months or years away.

I am going to go to my local steel yard tomorrow to pick up some other
materials, and will ask them if they know local suppliers.

Anyone here know of online sites? I have googled under light gauge angle
iron and channel, but only come up with info on heavier varieties.

I guess I could use aluminum, too.

TIA

Steve

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

iron sources Steve B Metalworking 4 January 26th 06 05:46 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 04:50 PM
A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water Peter Martin Home Repair 51 July 27th 03 07:14 PM