Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noise from Windows

I'm considering replacing the windows in the rear of my house. This is
for noise improvements- I've had no trouble with energy costs.

Question: The window frames are in good condition and are, I'm pretty
sure, Standard builder aluminum with 1/8" glass. One window salesperson
said I should get vinyl windows with double-glazed argon/etc (which, of
course, he was selling). Another suggested I would be find just
replacing the glass with 1/4" thick double glazed safety glass.

Has anyone tried the glass replacement and been happy/not happy with
it? What have you thought of it?

Thanks,

Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are somewhat restricting the discussion. Given that, replacement
wood sashes with double-pane low-e glazing, and tight seals
side/top/bottom, made for major reduction of noise-transmission.

All the vinyl sashes I've seen are flimsy, ... and I'd be concerned
about long-term UV.

Note the above about the sealing around the sashes. More than just
reglazing, eh?

You must be in one unusual area to not have to factor in energy costs.
Free?

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering replacing the windows in the rear of my house. This is
for noise improvements- I've had no trouble with energy costs.

Question: The window frames are in good condition and are, I'm pretty
sure, Standard builder aluminum with 1/8" glass. One window salesperson
said I should get vinyl windows with double-glazed argon/etc (which, of
course, he was selling). Another suggested I would be find just
replacing the glass with 1/4" thick double glazed safety glass.

Has anyone tried the glass replacement and been happy/not happy with
it? What have you thought of it?

Thanks,

Roger

Since your windows are made for single glass. I am reasonably sure that your
not going to find any "double glazed replacement glass". Since the double
glazed would be thicker.

If you do find a source let us know.

I had foam injected to a block home I owned and it made a lot of noise
difference. My neighbor had a heart attack and I did not even hear the
emergency vehicles. You have more wall surface than window.