Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can we replace our windows and retain the marble windowsills?

We have a house that was built in the 50's and has marble windowsills
throughout. We would like to replace the old aluminum windows, but we
would like to keep the marble sills. We've talked to a couple of
contractors and a window dealer, and it's 2:1 against the sills so far.

The problems I can think of are (1) possibly breaking the sills during
window removal; and (2) the new window frames will probably be thicker,
which might cause the sills to jut out into the room more (assuming
they butt up against the frame rather than go under it).

Has anyone done something like this? We'd really like to keep the
sills...

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a house that was built in the 50's and has marble windowsills
throughout. We would like to replace the old aluminum windows, but we
would like to keep the marble sills. We've talked to a couple of
contractors and a window dealer, and it's 2:1 against the sills so far.

The problems I can think of are (1) possibly breaking the sills during
window removal; and (2) the new window frames will probably be thicker,
which might cause the sills to jut out into the room more (assuming
they butt up against the frame rather than go under it).

marble cuts well using a wet tile saw. keep asking others to see if they'll
do it.

Has anyone done something like this? We'd really like to keep the
sills...

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You should be able to find someone to do that. Just make sure that they are
insured, and that the contract you sign says that if a sill is damaged they
will pay for someone to replace it.

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a house that was built in the 50's and has marble windowsills
throughout. We would like to replace the old aluminum windows, but we
would like to keep the marble sills. We've talked to a couple of
contractors and a window dealer, and it's 2:1 against the sills so far.

The problems I can think of are (1) possibly breaking the sills during
window removal; and (2) the new window frames will probably be thicker,
which might cause the sills to jut out into the room more (assuming
they butt up against the frame rather than go under it).

Has anyone done something like this? We'd really like to keep the
sills...

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

What exactly is a window insert? We have aluminum storm windows that
are attached on the outside. It is very inconvenient to open or clean
the windows with this arrangement, which is one reason we want to
replace them. Another is that even with the storm windows they are not
very energy efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

The windows in my house were replaced before I bought it and the
original window sills are still in place. However, they're wood and
putty could have hidden a lot of installation abuse. Marble wouldn't
be as forgiving.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair
D Duddles

We had the same situation in our old house....late 60's vintage with crappy
aluminum windows and marble sills. We had them replaced with no problem,
and not a bit of damage to any of the marble sills. They just removed the
glass from the old windows, pried up the bottom of the frame, and cut them
out with a sawzall. Didn't disturb the sills at all.

wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a house that was built in the 50's and has marble windowsills
throughout. We would like to replace the old aluminum windows, but we
would like to keep the marble sills. We've talked to a couple of
contractors and a window dealer, and it's 2:1 against the sills so far.

The problems I can think of are (1) possibly breaking the sills during
window removal; and (2) the new window frames will probably be thicker,
which might cause the sills to jut out into the room more (assuming
they butt up against the frame rather than go under it).

Has anyone done something like this? We'd really like to keep the
sills...

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

What type of new windows did you get? We have single-hung aluminum
windows, and would like to replace them with double-hung vinyl-clad
windows (the kind that tilt in for easier cleaning).

Did the sills have to be cut to fit the new windows? Do they butt up
against the bottom of the window frame, or go under?

Thanks!