Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can we replace our windows and retain the marble windowsills?

wrote:
What exactly is a window insert? We have aluminum storm windows that
are attached on the outside. It is very inconvenient to open or clean
the windows with this arrangement, which is one reason we want to
replace them. Another is that even with the storm windows they are not
very energy efficient.

Every window is set in a frame. With new window installation you remove
the window and frame. With inserts you remove the window only. A track
system and some 2x3 pine is set in the exhisting frame and the insert
is set in this. This is only a good option if your frame is free from
rot and you know that around the frame is insullated as when inserting
these neither the inside trim nor the outside trim is removed. The
inserts are single hung and with a flick of a clip they can pivot in
for easy cleaning. Like you I had alum. storms outside circa 1970's and
windows circa 1900's. The windows went in the garbage and the storms
were used on a green house.