Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mystery Window in Attic

I recently purchased an 1830 Victorian house and while cleaning the
attic to install insulation, a window was discovered. The window is
laying flat across the rafters in the middle of the attic. It is
attached to the rafters with a set of hinges so that it can be pulled
up straight (90 degree angle with the floor) as if it were on an outer
wall. There are no windows, no light source in the attic. Does anyone
have any idea what this might be for?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Handi

Windows 1.0 ?

sorry, I simply couldn't resist...

Handi

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently purchased an 1830 Victorian house and while cleaning the
attic to install insulation, a window was discovered. The window is
laying flat across the rafters in the middle of the attic. It is
attached to the rafters with a set of hinges so that it can be pulled
up straight (90 degree angle with the floor) as if it were on an outer
wall. There are no windows, no light source in the attic. Does anyone
have any idea what this might be for?

Thanks!

Reminds me of a joke by Steven Wright, something like: "There's a light
switch in my house that controls nothing. Still, I like to turn it off & on
sometimes. One day, a woman called from Europe and said, 'Hey....quit
playing with the light switch!'"

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Maybe they just stored it there, and screwed it down so it wouldn't fall off
and break.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently purchased an 1830 Victorian house and while cleaning the
attic to install insulation, a window was discovered. The window is
laying flat across the rafters in the middle of the attic. It is
attached to the rafters with a set of hinges so that it can be pulled
up straight (90 degree angle with the floor) as if it were on an outer
wall. There are no windows, no light source in the attic. Does anyone
have any idea what this might be for?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2 cents- "The World is an Open Window." This ones to "NoWhere".
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Reminds me of a joke by Steven Wright, something like: "There's a light
switch in my house that controls nothing. Still, I like to turn it off &
on sometimes. One day, a woman called from Europe and said, 'Hey....quit
playing with the light switch!'"

At work one of the machines has a switch that had long been disconnected.
If an operator working on that machine complains about it running to fast,
we go and flip the switch. They can keep up after that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is on the floor... attached to oen of the underlying beams (there
is no real floor in the attic). Just sits there in the middle laying
across the boards, but can be flipped up sp if you were sitting on the
floor you coudl look straight through the window. I thought mabe there
was some "old house" reasoning behind it that would be need to know....
but I guess maybe not!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Handi

This actually reminds me of a house I know of with a mysterious light
switch. It turned out it controlled the lights in a hidden crawl space
beneath the house.

Old houses often have mysteries hidden in the walls and attics. That's
the fun of renovating. Sometimes its odd choices of insulation, hidden door
& window frames and even the odd rodent.

Handi

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Handi" wrote in message
This actually reminds me of a house I know of with a mysterious light
switch. It turned out it controlled the lights in a hidden crawl space
beneath the house.

Old houses often have mysteries hidden in the walls and attics. That's
the fun of renovating. Sometimes its odd choices of insulation, hidden
door & window frames and even the odd rodent.

Handi

Sometimes the furniture's got even more secrets. A friend of mine bought a
beautiful dresser at an antique auction. As he and he wife layed it on its
back to put it in their pickup truck, they heard something metallic slam
around inside. They pulled out a drawer and found an old, rusty metal box
containing about $1500 in cash. They paid $200 for the dresser. They went
out to dinner. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:02:19 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Maybe it's a window to the hereafter.

Or the heretofor.

"Handi" wrote in message
This actually reminds me of a house I know of with a mysterious light
switch. It turned out it controlled the lights in a hidden crawl space
beneath the house.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Storm window as main shed window? Dave K. Home Repair 3 July 25th 18 10:44 PM
Hot attic AL Home Repair 11 July 17th 05 06:38 PM
How to walk in Attic [email protected] Home Ownership 5 May 10th 05 09:17 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Attic cooling donald girod Home Repair 4 July 4th 03 03:37 AM