Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

Default Applying Dremel to a stuck kitchen faucet cap

I had posted before about a faucet cap I have and how to get it off so I
can get to the diverter in my ball-type faucet. There was some
speculation that it wouldn't come off, but my model looks like the cap
is its own part with its own removal. I can't get it off. I tried
liquid wrench along with whacking it with a hammer, along with trying to
lightly chisel in underneath to loosen the grime. Finally, I warmed up
the faucet with hot water for a minute. No go. I think I must remove
it the hard way.

I've heard of some folks cutting them off, but there are problems with
the threading. Has anybody here done this before? I was going to get a
new cap and do this at a time of day when I can get a replacement faucet
still--just in case. I figured lightly going at it with some metal
cutoff wheels on my Dremel should get a cut into it without destroying
the threading. It would be a different story if I press too hard on it.
How strong is chrome/chrome-plated faucet parts against a Dremel?

Posted to alt.home.repair
New & Improved - N/F John

I used a Dremel tool on a three-handled shower faucet. Darn thing was stuck
for years. I'd say it was daring, but if the new stems didn't fit I would
need to open the wall. If it's a Kitchen sink, don't bother unless it's
fairly new.

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Adam Preble in
:

[...]

what brand model faucet? you might find repair blowup at mfr website.

i've done similar repair to an early 90's american standard ceramic cart faucet.

the instructions were a bit vague, said something like, "remove" cap. wow. that was
informative.

i tried a strap wrench, which slightly crushed a less visible location, but didn't "remove" the
cover. then i realized it would loosen (then come off) when i pried upward with a bit of effort.