Posted to alt.home.repair
Caveat Emptor

Default GE Spacemaker Xl 1400 Life

How long do one of these typically last? We have one that's nearly 7
years old and has stopped heating. I suspect the magnetron is gone.

Given that it will cost at least $ 100-150+ to repair, should I bother
or replace it? Hate to create more toxic waste...

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

Caveat Emptor wrote:
How long do one of these typically last? We have one that's nearly 7
years old and has stopped heating. I suspect the magnetron is gone.

Given that it will cost at least $ 100-150+ to repair, should I bother
or replace it? Hate to create more toxic waste...

Thanks

I think my sister in law had one and it just recently died. It was less
than a year old. However she used it as a timer and ran it empty for 20
minutes. It died accompanied with a burning smell. Later she read the
manual that told her not to do what she had just done.
Unfortunately I put it in for her and her husband is not very handy so
they're going with an identical unit so as to use the same mounting
plate.
I had an old Lytton that was over 20 years old and I replaced it 4
years ago with a Korean Whirpool. Been great. Donated the old one to a
church.
You could Freecycle it or Craig's as a "free needs repair".
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I replaced the magnetron in mine (not a spacemaker). Call AP Wagner and give
them a model number (and part number if you have it.)

"Caveat Emptor" wrote in message
oups.com...
How long do one of these typically last? We have one that's nearly 7
years old and has stopped heating. I suspect the magnetron is gone.

Given that it will cost at least $ 100-150+ to repair, should I bother
or replace it? Hate to create more toxic waste...

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

All the GE's were having magnetrons burn up. Mine lasted 3 years but I had a
warranty contract on the house so I got it replaced free. The tech said as
he was leaving "See you in about two years again". If it's not under
warranty, junk it and get another brand if you can.
"Caveat Emptor" wrote in message
oups.com...
How long do one of these typically last? We have one that's nearly 7
years old and has stopped heating. I suspect the magnetron is gone.

Given that it will cost at least $ 100-150+ to repair, should I bother
or replace it? Hate to create more toxic waste...

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Caveat Emptor

I was considering doing that, but read on one of the newsgroups that I
shouldn't do it unless I know what I am up to, given the high voltage
capacitor etc. I am reasonably handy, and not an expert. Should I try
it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

"Caveat Emptor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was considering doing that, but read on one of the newsgroups that I
shouldn't do it unless I know what I am up to, given the high voltage
capacitor etc. I am reasonably handy, and not an expert. Should I try
it?

If you're talking about changing the magnetron yourself, save yourself a lot
of grief. I watched the tech change mine. It took him 2 hours (and he's done
many before) and he broke his a-s.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

It's been a long time since I did mine, and I don't remember any capacitor.
Some capacitors need to be discharged, because they store voltage. There's
probably something online that would tell you if you had to, and how to do
it. I think the hardest part is the wiring, so make sure you have the new
one first, then check to make sure it's the same, and write down the wiring
order before you disconnect the old one.

"Caveat Emptor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was considering doing that, but read on one of the newsgroups that I
shouldn't do it unless I know what I am up to, given the high voltage
capacitor etc. I am reasonably handy, and not an expert. Should I try
it?

Shelf life of Sealed lead acid batteries? Jason Arthurs UK diy 5 June 7th 05 11:43 AM
NEW LIFE Woodcare Products in Delaware Woodworking 1 May 30th 05 12:37 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Cooker Hood Carbon Filter Life? NatterJak UK diy 4 August 25th 03 05:29 PM