Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water cylinder 'robbing' radiators of heat?

Hi,

I've recently moved in to a new house with an indirect oil fired
burner. As the rooms have always been at best 'Lukewarm', I increased
the temperature on the Burner to 75C. It had originally been set to
60C and I thought this would solve the problem.
However, there has not been any considerable increase in room
temperatures. The sole benefit of Increasing the burner seemed to be
heating the cylinder tank which now has scalding hot water!!

There is no thermostat on the cylinder. Is it safe to assume that the
cylinder is 'robbing' the radiators of the heat that is required to
heat the rooms. I Don't think there is anything wrong with the
radiators themselves are they all warm consistently, but just not
enough to throw out the heat required, even with the increase of
temperature on the boiler.

Would a thermostat fitted to the hot water cylinder and set to 60C
force extra heat directly to the radiators?

Any advice greatly appreciated,
Regards,
John.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I Don't think there is anything wrong with the
radiators themselves are they all warm consistently, but just not
enough to throw out the heat required, even with the increase of
temperature on the boiler.

How is the water circulated? Could be the circulator pump is not working
properly.

Would a thermostat fitted to the hot water cylinder and set to 60C
force extra heat directly to the radiators?

NHo, it would probably just shut off the burner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Is the house warm, isnt that what matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I've recently moved in to a new house with an indirect oil fired
burner. As the rooms have always been at best 'Lukewarm', I increased
the temperature on the Burner to 75C. It had originally been set to
60C and I thought this would solve the problem.
However, there has not been any considerable increase in room
temperatures. The sole benefit of Increasing the burner seemed to be
heating the cylinder tank which now has scalding hot water!!

Increasing the temperature of the water won't affect the
temperature of the rooms, it will only affect how fast
they REACH that temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And amount of wasted energy- the higher the set-point of the aquastat,
the more energy going up the flue, all else being equal. Second-law
thing.

HTH,