Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Default sink depth?

I shopping for a new kitchen sink. There are lots of sink depths, I have a
7.5" now. What limits the sink depth? Could I get a 9.5" Does the drain
in the wall have something to do with it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Jeff wrote:
I shopping for a new kitchen sink. There are lots of sink depths, I have a
7.5" now. What limits the sink depth? Could I get a 9.5" Does the drain
in the wall have something to do with it?

You bet. Even more so if you plan to have a disposal in it.

Have a look at the present installation. Then imagine
hacking 2" off the sink drain tailpiece. Will it work?

If you don't have a disposal now but plan to add one, you need
even more height difference.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:
I shopping for a new kitchen sink. There are lots of sink depths, I have a
7.5" now. What limits the sink depth? Could I get a 9.5" Does the drain
in the wall have something to do with it?

Thanks,

Jeff

You have a drain pipe coming out from the wall.
You have a trap from the bottom of the sink to the wall pipe.

The bottom of the sink must be higher than the wall pipe for it to
drain.

If the deeper sink has the bottom of the sink below the wall pipe you
would need to get the wall pipe relocated or raise the counter level of
the sink unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2006-01-08, Jeff wrote:

I shopping for a new kitchen sink. There are lots of sink depths, I
have a 7.5" now. What limits the sink depth?

Speedy Jim addressed the plumbing issues. I'd like to repeat
something my kitchen designer said to me, which is that deeper sinks
are less ergonomic. If you think about, when the counters are at a
comfortable working height, you have to bend over to work on the
bottom of the sink, since it is lower. A deeper sink just exacerbates
this. So my kitchen designer's suggestion was to avoid the very deep
sinks and to get a very tall faucet.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

For the average person, deep sinks aren't necessary. Get a standard sink and
then get a Moen 7345 Legend Riser Faucet. It raises and lowers as you need
it. We've had one for 20 years without any problem.
http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/ca...uct&sku=734 5

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
I shopping for a new kitchen sink. There are lots of sink depths, I have

7.5" now. What limits the sink depth? Could I get a 9.5" Does the drain
in the wall have something to do with it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"For the average person, deep sinks aren't necessary. Get a standard
sink and
then get a Moen 7345 Legend Riser Faucet. It raises and lowers as you
need
it. We've had one for 20 years without any problem"

I just switched to a deep sink last year and would never go back to a
regular sink. Unless you are short, the depth works out fine, no
ergonomic issues. And for once I can use the sink sprayer without
worrying about blow back. It's great for washing large items.
Another feature to look for is having the drains located in the rear of
the sink. This gives you more open work area on the floor of the sink,
without having to block the drain or have stuff fall into it. I chose
the Kohler Marsala, which has two bowls, split in size about 60/40. I
think that works out best, as it gives you one big bowl and one that is
available for collanders or a backup. The Marsala also is a single
faucet model, with the faucet going where the divider is. That allows
both bowls to go further back, where you normally would have the back
area for the faucets. This gives you another 2" or so of bowl front to
back.

Regarding issues with drain height alignment, all the sink
manufactureres have drawings and specs online so you can figure out the
range of waste pipe heights it will work with. I replaced my std sink
with a deep bowl one plus disposal with no problems at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"For the average person, deep sinks aren't necessary. Get a standard
sink and
then get a Moen 7345 Legend Riser Faucet. It raises and lowers as you
need
it. We've had one for 20 years without any problem"

They may not be neccesary but IMO, they are a big plus. I just
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Interesting comments about sinks .... I measured and I can use about any
depth sink. I like the idea of the drains in the back. My carpenter thinks
we should go with stainless steel, but my wife wanted a cast iron sink. It
looks to me that stainless might hold up better, although they scratch up
fast.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Jeff wrote:
I shopping for a new kitchen sink. There are lots of sink depths, I have a
7.5" now. What limits the sink depth? Could I get a 9.5" Does the drain
in the wall have something to do with it?

I have to disagree with others who warn against a deep sink. When I
tiled my counter top 3 years ago, I took out the crap that was in there
and went with a nice since 10.5" sink, AND a Grohe gooseneck style
faucet where the head pulls out. It's great being able to fill deep
pots, fill 5 gallon buckets, and pile stuff into the sink when
necessary. It is a bit more cramped under the counter, but well worth
it. I'm no basketball player at 5'9" either.

If you're a coffee/tee/hot chocolate drinker, maybe even think of
installing an instant hot water dispenser. They're awesome!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

We bought an excellent quality stainless steel sink 20 years ago. My wife
takes great care of it, and has not scratched it, however she did drop
something once which put a dent in it. A chip in a cast iron sink finish can
be repaired, but not stainless. Something to consider.

"Jeff" wrote in message
m...
Interesting comments about sinks .... I measured and I can use about any
depth sink. I like the idea of the drains in the back. My carpenter

thinks
we should go with stainless steel, but my wife wanted a cast iron sink.

It
looks to me that stainless might hold up better, although they scratch up
fast.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:33:55 GMT, "Jeff"
wrote:

Interesting comments about sinks .... I measured and I can use about any
depth sink. I like the idea of the drains in the back. My carpenter thinks
we should go with stainless steel, but my wife wanted a cast iron sink. It
looks to me that stainless might hold up better, although they scratch up
fast.

Compromise on soapstone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 09 Jan 2006 07:33:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jeff?

Interesting comments about sinks .... I measured and I can use about any
depth sink. I like the idea of the drains in the back. My carpenter
thinks we should go with stainless steel, but my wife wanted a cast iron
sink. It looks to me that stainless might hold up better, although they
scratch up fast.

Jeff

Over the years I've had several of both. I will never own another stainless
steel sink. A royal PITA.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

Can't Get PC 690 Cut Depth Adjustment Ring to Work Morris Dovey Woodworking 0 December 7th 05 09:28 PM
Replacing kitchen sink Alex Home Ownership 2 August 7th 05 01:19 PM
Replacing kitchen sink Alex Home Repair 2 August 7th 05 01:19 PM
Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM