Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob

Default Flat Paint in a Bathroom?

I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house,
but due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color
with a semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the
imperfections in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Rob wrote:
I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house,
but due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color
with a semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the
imperfections in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

It can be done. Look into scrubbable paints and maybe go with an
exterior paint.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l... latex+mildew

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , Rob wrote:
I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house,
but due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color
with a semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the
imperfections in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

I wouldn't do it. Flat paint plus moisture equals breeding ground for mildew.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Levon

why not put some mud on the ugly spots...
i tell ya, if you can frost a cake you can smooth them spots over
there is not right or wrong, i'd make 2-3 passes with drywall compound
(it's bound to look better)

just say you used the paint to see the problem areas...
now you know where to put the mud...sand and paint...
watchit look like the rest of it...

"Rob" wrote in message
I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house,
but due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color
with a semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the
imperfections in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Dont go flat, dark colors burnish when rubbed or bumped, it will have
higher gloss areas anywhere bumped even lightly. Fix your walls or go a
light color flat or make an even texture.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rob" wrote in message

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom even
though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

Talk to the guy at the paint store. He may be able to add some mildewcide or
something to help you. A real paint store, not the big box discounters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Rob wrote:
I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house,
but due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color
with a semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the
imperfections in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

The real fix it to fix the wall. That aside I would use flat.

Yes I did see that comment about mold, but I don't believe it to be
"exactly" true. Bath paints (and it is a good idea to use paint made for
bath use) contain products to reduce the mold problem. Few "bath" paints
come in flat. You can add the anti-mold materials to a flat paint.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:24:05 GMT, Rob wrote:

I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house,
but due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color
with a semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the
imperfections in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

It is better to use a Kitchen/Bath paint which has some gloss to it.
There are big differences in quality between brands, but generally it
doesn't matter much if you plan to repaint again in 5 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

I just finished painting my downstairs powder room about an hour ago. I also
used a medium blue, and i think it looks great.

I did do some minor patching & some sanding.

I then painted with my most favorite type of paint, Pittsburg Paints Manor
Hall in an Eggshell finish. Have used this stuff for years in several
homes. It's quite scrubbable if you soil it. It has just a bit off gloss,
but not like semigloss. Put it on with a good quality 3/8 roller. Be sure to
prime any patched areas first.

It's all dry now. The few drywall joint ridges I did not re-work are now
less noticable than they were with a semigloss off-white.

"Rob" wrote in message
I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house, but
due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color with a
semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the imperfections
in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a semi-gloss
for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a window but no
fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom even
though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never use a flat paint in a bathroom, period. Even if you add a
fungicide, it will just not be durable enough or water resistant enough
for that use. I agree with the other guy that you should smooth out
the wall if appearance is an issue for you.

I am a big fan of high-gloss paint, appearance aside. It dries hard,
fast, and is super durable and waterproof. I even prefer an oil-based
paint where wetness is expected. I know latex is what everone uses but
if you try the oil based finish you will be surprised at the difference
in the finish compared to any latex.

Just think about it, an oil has got to be more resistant to moisture
and abrasion than a latex. I even used and oil based high-gloss in a
shower stall with excellent results!!! Use semi-gloss where appearance
is an issue, but never use flat latex in a bathroom unless you don't
mind doing it over in a year or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

"newsreader" wrote in message
. ..
I just finished painting my downstairs powder room about an hour ago. I
also used a medium blue, and i think it looks great.

I did do some minor patching & some sanding.

I then painted with my most favorite type of paint, Pittsburg Paints
Manor Hall in an Eggshell finish. Have used this stuff for years in
several homes. It's quite scrubbable if you soil it. It has just a bit
off gloss, but not like semigloss. Put it on with a good quality 3/8
roller. Be sure to prime any patched areas first.

It's all dry now. The few drywall joint ridges I did not re-work are now
less noticable than they were with a semigloss off-white.

Probably won't have much problem with it. Not sure it would work in a
bathroom that has a shower (steaming up the walls all the time)....

"Rob" wrote in message
I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house, but
due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color with a
semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the imperfections
in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs

In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

And, don't they say that oil and water don't mix? :-)