Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Flat Paint in a Bathroom?

Rob wrote:
I bought medium-dark blue semi-gloss paint for a bathroom in my house,
but due primarily to the old plaster's uneven nature, the darker color
with a semi-gloss paint does not look great. You can see all of the
imperfections in the plaster with the gloss in the paint.

I bought semi-gloss because I always thought bathrooms needed a
semi-gloss for cleaning and due to the moisture. This bathroom has a
window but no fan ventilation so I thought a semi gloss was definitely
needed.

Is this the case, or can I get a flat paint instead for this bathroom
even though the wall will get some dampness regularly?

The real fix it to fix the wall. That aside I would use flat.

Yes I did see that comment about mold, but I don't believe it to be
"exactly" true. Bath paints (and it is a good idea to use paint made for
bath use) contain products to reduce the mold problem. Few "bath" paints
come in flat. You can add the anti-mold materials to a flat paint.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit