Posted to alt.home.repair
C5Ya

Default How to Bend PVC?

I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"C5Ya" wrote in message
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya

A collar with about six sources of heat (probably propane) would do it.

Problem is, by the time you set it all up, do trial after trial, figure out
the right heat, figure out the right feed rate, you would end up with a pile
of used bent PVC the size of Cleveland.

It doesn't sound like a hard thing to do, but a more difficult thing to
figure out.

Will watch for the suggestions you receive.

Good luck.

I got a friend of mine who is a union electrician. I know they bend PVC. I
will ask him for input.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

The very best, easiest pipe bending I have done was on
electricians PVC. The pieces I bent and have seen bent are
smaller diameter than yours. Slide them up inside the tail pipe
on a running vehicle. There is enough moisture in the exhaust to
prevent burning the pipe. This is not a really quick process, but
the pipe becomes like cooked spaghetti and is really easy to
shape. The pipe is quite hot to the touch, probably more than you
want to hold onto. It is really easy to create flat spots if you
bend it too tight. If you know your shape, set up some cement
blocks or something to hold the shape and control the curve till
the pipe cools.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"C5Ya" wrote in message
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half
circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's
heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to
accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

C5Ya wrote:

I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya

Rather than buying a heater made specifically to bend PVC, you
can use this trick; Acquire a 5-6' length of 3" stove pipe
(single wall). Place one end over the tailpipe of your truck
and start the motor. Place the pipe you want to bend into the
pipe and leave it there for about 20 minutes. Bend it to the
shape you want and hold it in that position until it cools.

I have always found that it is best to over bend it, as it
will attempt to return to its original shape even after
cooling down a bit.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:10:07 GMT, Robert Allison
wrote:

C5Ya wrote:

I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya

Rather than buying a heater made specifically to bend PVC, you
can use this trick; Acquire a 5-6' length of 3" stove pipe
(single wall). Place one end over the tailpipe of your truck
and start the motor. Place the pipe you want to bend into the
pipe and leave it there for about 20 minutes. Bend it to the
shape you want and hold it in that position until it cools.

I have always found that it is best to over bend it, as it
will attempt to return to its original shape even after
cooling down a bit.

That is a unique idea.....
I know they do make commercial benders, but you'll need $$$
If the tailpipe method works, the OP might be able to use a car tire
for the "mold" to get the proper shape. It sounds like about that
size.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Vaughan

In article ,
C5Ya wrote:
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

Do you have a gas stove?

TIA

C5Ya

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Hard PVC is very difficult to bend without kinking, especially for a 180
degree bend. You may have to buy several 20 ft. lengths before perfecting
the technique. In the long run, it's probably be easier and cheaper to just
use flexible PVC, but the surface will be ribbed slightly.
In 2002, I bought a 1-1/2" x 50 ft. roll of flexible PVC for $42 from my
supply house. It was made by Pacific Echo.
http://www.pacificecho.com/spiralite.htm My local pool supply store wanted
$6 per ft. for the same stuff. A lot of plumbing supply places sell it, but
some don't even know what it is.
Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...lexible+pvc%22

"C5Ya" wrote in message
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

C5Ya wrote:
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

Pack it with sand to prevent collapsing. Test on a small trial piece.

Posted to alt.home.repair

there are plastics companes who can supply stuff like this already
formed.

what are you building?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"C5Ya" wrote in message
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

This will be fairly hard to do with out a big electric heater.
The tail pipe idea does not work for bends like this. (30 plus years
installing electrical conduit)

I suggest that you find an electric contractor that is using a electric
heater like this one

http://www.toolfetch.com/tools/30866.html?mv_pc=Froogle

It is about 5 feet long and will heat MOST of the pvc up the first time.
Greenlee also make a PVC pipe plug kit that seals the ends so that the
heated air will prevent the conduit from collapsing.

I suggest you build a form to put the pipe into. Stakes in the ground on the
inside of the radius, is a suggestion.

Good luck your going to need it. I sure hope your not planning on pulling
wire through this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Find a patio furniture shop. They do lots of PVC bending. If the shop near
you doesn't make pieces, ask them who does. I am sure that a polite request
and an offer to pay will get you a professional job done.

Charlie

"C5Ya" wrote in message
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:11:28 GMT, C5Ya wrote:

I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

TIA

C5Ya

Could you tell us what you are making with this? Just curious....

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnH

C5Ya wrote:
I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

Buy Hula-hoop, cut in half

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

JohnH wrote:
C5Ya wrote:

I have a project where I need to bend 1 1/2" PVC into a half circle
with a radius of 3-4 feet. I know it can be bent once it's heated but
I don't know how hot it needs to be and the best method to accomplish
this. Any help or ideas would be apprediated.

Buy Hula-hoop, cut in half

Where do you get a Hula-hoop made of 1 1/2" PVC?

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

.. with a radius of 3-4 feet.

If the tailpipe method works, the OP might be able to use a car tire
for the "mold" to get the proper shape. It sounds like about that
size.

Some car tire!