Peter

Default South Bend Vertical Milling Machine

Hi, I purchased a South Bend Vertical Mill a couple years ago. It is a
model MIL4218 that was produced in the late 50's or early 60's. It was
actually manufactured by South Bend and is not an import. It has a 9 x
42 table and a 30 MM (30mm) spindle taper. It seems the spindle taper
is the same as a 30 NMTB, but uses two 45 degree angle set screw
pockets that are timed with the notches to retain the tool in the
spindle. It does not have the typical 1/2" fine thread draw socket on
top. I have been seaching for tooling and the Z collets that my collet
chuck uses. The collets can be purchased new, but are currently $19.00
each. That makes a complete set a bit expensive. I believe I have a
line on used collets. I am also looking for end mill holders, and
Jacobs taper adapters. I have contacted South Bend about it and they
were pleasant and sent me some info, but told me they did not have
anything else and have no parts. If anyone has a mill like this or can
help with the tooling please reply or email. Thanks, Peter.

jim rozen

In article .com, Peter
says...

chuck uses. The collets can be purchased new, but are currently $19.00
each.

If you can buy those special SB collets for twenty bucks each,
do it. That's a bargain.

Jim

please reply to: