Posted to alt.home.repair
peter

Default what to stuff in driveway gaps?

There is a strip of rotting wood between the concrete slabs on my driveway.
It is about 1" wide. Is this a standard lumber item, or would I have to cut
it from something else? Is there anything better than a strip of wood?

Between the driveway and walkway, and between the walkway slabs, there are
half-inch gaps but no wood strips in them. I don't know what is supposed to
be in these gaps, but now they are filled with random junk/dirt and topped
with moss. What is the proper way to stuff these gaps?

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

stuff in a foam filler rod first, then fill the rest with the caulk
recommended by Ron. The gap is likely to be too large for just caulk
by itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

You are looking for "backer rod". Here is an example:
http://www.bayindustries.com/backerrod/denverfoam.html
you need to install the appropriate size for the gap(s) you have.

Follow with the proper caulk/sealant like
There are several good manufacturers but these come to mind:
Vulkem
NP1, if the joints are fairly level use SL1 (self leveling)
DowCorning 795 silicone.

You can also fill the joints with pourable rubber sealant like:
http://www.apoc.com/Blackjack/bj-6435.htm or
http://www.wrmeadows.com/video/3405.wmv

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"peter" wrote in message
There is a strip of rotting wood between the concrete slabs on
my driveway. It is about 1" wide. Is this a standard lumber
item, or would I have to cut it from something else? Is there
anything better than a strip of wood?

Between the driveway and walkway, and between the walkway slabs,
there are half-inch gaps but no wood strips in them. I don't
know what is supposed to be in these gaps, but now they are
filled with random junk/dirt and topped with moss. What is the
proper way to stuff these gaps?

Posted to alt.home.repair
peter

"DanG" wrote in message

Follow with the proper caulk/sealant like
There are several good manufacturers but these come to mind:
Vulkem
NP1, if the joints are fairly level use SL1 (self leveling)
DowCorning 795 silicone.

You can also fill the joints with pourable rubber sealant like:
http://www.apoc.com/Blackjack/bj-6435.htm or
http://www.wrmeadows.com/video/3405.wmv

I just went to home depot to look. There are at least 3 similar sealants
that says concrete & masonry sealant, and they are all gray color. Here
they are (I had to use acehardware's web site because HD's web site sucks):
http://www.acehardware.com/search/in...rete%20sealant
Which one do I choose? I want to pick the best one for the job so I won't
have to do it again for a long time.

The driveway is sloped; I probably don't want self leveling. The rubber
sealant looks good but I don't want jet black sealant. It would be too loud
against a medium gray driveway.

One more question: can any of these sealant withstand driveway being
pressure-washed?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Of the names that you show, I would go with the PL product only
because their adhesives are pretty good.

Professional names in the type products I would recommend:
Sika
Sonneborn/DeGussa
Vulkem
Tremco
Pecora
Dow Corning (the only silicone I would consider)

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of manufacturers"
http://www.4specs.com/s/07/07920.html

driveway cracked stevie Home Repair 7 October 10th 05 06:43 AM
thawing an iced up driveway? Hamilton Audio Home Repair 12 January 12th 05 03:21 PM
New concrete driveway question Keith Boeheim Home Repair 6 January 5th 05 03:54 AM
driveway problem Walsh Home Repair 4 September 24th 04 02:14 AM
Rough Idea on cost of driveway paver installation? Arnie Goetchius Home Repair 9 September 14th 04 06:41 PM