Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Jenkins

Default Garage Door Opens By Itself

My garage door opens by itself from time to time. The make is called
"Challenger", and it is distributed by Swift Garage Door Systems.

Can anyone suggest a cure?

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies.

Don (For email replace first l with on)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Don Jenkins wrote:
My garage door opens by itself from time to time. The make is called
"Challenger", and it is distributed by Swift Garage Door Systems.

Can anyone suggest a cure?

Your opener code is shared with a neighbor's opener. Change the code.
Usually the code changes automatically to inhibit the use of scanners,
but you might have to change it manually. Check the manual or the
manufacturer's web site for instructions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

"Don Jenkins" wrote in message
My garage door opens by itself from time to time. The make is called
"Challenger", and it is distributed by Swift Garage Door Systems.

Can anyone suggest a cure?

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies.

Don (For email replace first l with on)

Are you near a military base? Older garage door openers used a radio
frequency that the military has now recaptured and about a year ago notice
was given that some garage door openers near bases might malfunction.

Tom G

Posted to alt.home.repair
BeBo

"Don Jenkins" wrote in message
My garage door opens by itself from time to time. The make is called
"Challenger", and it is distributed by Swift Garage Door Systems.

Can anyone suggest a cure?

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies.

Don (For email replace first l with on)

sounds like wireless device in the house is doing this

change the frequency of garage door opener
I don't know how, I just know you can

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

In addition to the other excellent comments, my son told me that kids with
garage door openers will drive through developments pushing the buttons to
see if any doors open. I have an older Genie, and tried it at someone's
house and it worked. I don't know how often this works, but it is possible.

"Don Jenkins" wrote in message
My garage door opens by itself from time to time. The make is called
"Challenger", and it is distributed by Swift Garage Door Systems.

Can anyone suggest a cure?

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies.

Don (For email replace first l with on)

Posted to alt.home.repair
butch burton

Code duplication maybe the answer. Have seen several examples of car
security systems being turned off and doors popping open on newer autos
- not sure remote door openers on cars is such a good idea. In high
end neighborhoods people drive through with a demon dialer type of
scanner trapsing through the various door opener frequencies and
"dialing for dollars".

You can only hope the bad boys catch some work at home gun enthusiast -
gut shot at 10 feet with 4 0 buck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Military Garage Door Blues
Posted 06-Dec-2005 02:10 | Permanent Link
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/12/the-military-garage-door-blues/index.php

Related stories: Bases & Infrastructure /bases_infrastructure/, Signals
Radio & Wireless /signals_radio_wireless/

Do you live on or near a US military base? Do you have trouble with your
automatic garage door opener? Is your neighbour muttering darkly about "the
government"? Well, he may be right. The US military is the authorized user
of the 380-399.9 MHz spectrum, and military radio systems like the new Land
Mobile Radio system can easily drown out the weak signals of your garage
door opener on similar wavelengths. MSNBC reports
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10295651/.
As a public service, we'll add that recent MIT experiments with tinfoil hats
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/ have also noted critical
vulnerabilities to common military spectrum wavelengths. Then again, they
would say that, wouldn't they?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Bob" wrote in
:

In addition to the other excellent comments, my son told me that kids
with garage door openers will drive through developments pushing the
buttons to see if any doors open. I have an older Genie, and tried it
at someone's house and it worked. I don't know how often this works,
but it is possible.

A good way to have your house burgled.
If they can gain access to your garage,they can close the door and have
privacy to work on getting into your house.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

October 1998: A Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pa., was leaving a house he had
just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the
garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning.
He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and
garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation. Mr.
Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a
case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. Mr. Dickson sued
the homeowner's insurance, claiming the situation caused him undue mental
anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars.

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Bob" wrote in
:

In addition to the other excellent comments, my son told me that kids
with garage door openers will drive through developments pushing the
buttons to see if any doors open. I have an older Genie, and tried it
at someone's house and it worked. I don't know how often this works,
but it is possible.

A good way to have your house burgled.
If they can gain access to your garage,they can close the door and have
privacy to work on getting into your house.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

you can buy just the replacement opener and controller. disabling the
original controller, connect the new more secure one

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Bob" writes:

October 1998: A Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pa., was leaving a house he had

Jeez, spends a few seconds at Google before posting this stuff.
This is whats called an Urban Legend.
A particularly dumb one at that.