Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Garage Door Opens By Itself

October 1998: A Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pa., was leaving a house he had
just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the
garage door to go up, because the automatic door opener was malfunctioning.
He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and
garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation. Mr.
Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a
case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. Mr. Dickson sued
the homeowner's insurance, claiming the situation caused him undue mental
anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars.

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Bob" wrote in
:

In addition to the other excellent comments, my son told me that kids
with garage door openers will drive through developments pushing the
buttons to see if any doors open. I have an older Genie, and tried it
at someone's house and it worked. I don't know how often this works,
but it is possible.

A good way to have your house burgled.
If they can gain access to your garage,they can close the door and have
privacy to work on getting into your house.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik