Posted to alt.home.repair
torretta1

Default Waste Arm Question

I am installing a new sink and vanity in my home. It looks like I need
to extend the waste arm to match the drain alignment with the new sink.
Sounds easy enough... however, I have been grappling with identifying
the best way to do this as the waste arm is chromed covered and
soldered to the stub/drain.

I am considering a couple of approaches and wondering if anyone here
has any tips/suggestions. Note that I am not sure if the waste arm if
chromed covered copper or brass. Should I cut a portion of the waste
arm with a jig saw and solder a chromed cover copper/brass extension?
Or would a better option be to cut the waste arm and use some type of
transition fitting to go PVC? Since the waste arm is covered in chrome
I am not sure how difficult it will be remove the chrome for the solder
to stick.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

torretta1 wrote:
[...]

You have pretty well identified the situation.
The trap arm is tubular brass with chrome plating.

It is difficult to remove enough chrome plating to get
good soldering, especially on a piece stuck in the wall:-)

There are rubber couplings one could use, but they will
look ugly.

The best fix in this situation (IMHO) is a "repair trap".
It has a slip coupling on the inlet side and you just
cut the existing tube the proper length to extend the
trap outward to line up. A good supply house will have
them in 1 1/4" size.

If you do decide to solder, there is a 1 1/4" brass/chrome
solder coupling but it may be hard to find a supplier.

Before you get too involved, press on the existing tube
(especially the bottom side) to feel for spongey brass,
indicating it has rotted out.

In some parts of this land, slip couplings aren't
permitted on the trap inlet, if that would concern you...
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
torretta1

Hey, thanks for your reply! That does sound like the best fix... Funny
how I have been researching this situation for a coupla weeks and never
came across this fix!

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.fernco.com/DTC.asp
look at DTC-150 just a screwdriver attaches this rubber adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

torretta1 wrote:

Hey, thanks for your reply! That does sound like the best fix... Funny
how I have been researching this situation for a coupla weeks and never
came across this fix!

Here's what they look like:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS....jsp?pn=555400

Posted to alt.home.repair
torretta1

Thanks! I'll also look into this adapter...and I thought that this
drain issue was going to be my biggest problem when swapping the sink n
vanity!

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Plumbing Waste Anomaly Grunff UK diy 8 August 10th 03 11:35 AM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 07:41 PM