Posted to alt.home.repair
Fr@nk

Default Removing hutch from computer desk

Hi. I have a 15 year old O'sullivan computer desk with attached hutch. I'd
like to remove the hutch, making the desk top flat again, giving me more
usable desktop space. Unfortunately, I can't find the assembly
diagram/instructions for this desk, and other than a few Torx screws, I
don't see any other visible fasteners to remove to "release" the hutch from
the top of the desk.

It definitely fastens to the top of the desk (it's not a single-piece
desktop AND hutch), so it should be removable.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the hutch may be attached to this
desktop? Ever dis-assemble an O'Sullivan desk? Thanks.

Fr@nk

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Fr@nk" wrote in message
Hi. I have a 15 year old O'sullivan computer desk with attached hutch. I'd
like to remove the hutch, making the desk top flat again, giving me more
usable desktop space. Unfortunately, I can't find the assembly
diagram/instructions for this desk, and other than a few Torx screws, I
don't see any other visible fasteners to remove to "release" the hutch

from
the top of the desk.

It definitely fastens to the top of the desk (it's not a single-piece
desktop AND hutch), so it should be removable.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the hutch may be attached to this
desktop? Ever dis-assemble an O'Sullivan desk? Thanks.

Fr@nk

I put a few of them together about the same time you did. The screws are
the key. There were/are several different methods used. There was a cam
lever that locked into a receiver. About one turn of the screw releases
these. Then another style had a threaded insert that received the screws.
Wither way removing the screws should hurt nothing.

I suggest you look under the desk to see if there are any screws there that
have been driven up into the hutch portion. If not just loosen and lift
gently. You are unlikely to wind up with a "perfect" desktop but the space
will be usable.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Fr@nk

"Colbyt" wrote in message

I put a few of them together about the same time you did. The screws are
the key. There were/are several different methods used. There was a cam
lever that locked into a receiver. About one turn of the screw releases
these. Then another style had a threaded insert that received the screws.
Wither way removing the screws should hurt nothing.

I suggest you look under the desk to see if there are any screws there
that
have been driven up into the hutch portion. If not just loosen and lift
gently. You are unlikely to wind up with a "perfect" desktop but the
space
will be usable.

Colbyt

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do remember those cams. But I don't see any
exposed "heads" for those type of fasteners though. I've looked at it from
every side. And the only screws visible from underneath the desktop I
already removed. Those were plain phillips screws, BTW. I also removed four
Torx screws (two from each end of the desk); they seem to go right into the
edges of the privacy panel, yet removing them didn't release the panel. And
the hutch still doesn't budge. Any other ideas for where those cam-fasteners
might be hidden?

Fr@nk

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Fr@nk wrote:
Hi. I have a 15 year old O'sullivan computer desk with attached hutch. I'd
like to remove the hutch, making the desk top flat again, giving me more
usable desktop space. Unfortunately, I can't find the assembly
diagram/instructions for this desk, and other than a few Torx screws, I
don't see any other visible fasteners to remove to "release" the hutch from
the top of the desk.

It definitely fastens to the top of the desk (it's not a single-piece
desktop AND hutch), so it should be removable.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the hutch may be attached to this
desktop? Ever dis-assemble an O'Sullivan desk? Thanks.

Most RTA desks use something similar to this connector:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=866-497
Torx is unusual, usually it's a slotted or Philips head, but no matter.
If you turn the all of the exposed screw heads to loosen them until
they will turn no further, you should be able to lift the hutch
straight up and off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim and Steph

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do remember those cams. But I don't see any
exposed "heads" for those type of fasteners though. I've looked at it from
every side. And the only screws visible from underneath the desktop I
already removed. Those were plain phillips screws, BTW. I also removed
four Torx screws (two from each end of the desk); they seem to go right
into the edges of the privacy panel, yet removing them didn't release the
panel. And the hutch still doesn't budge. Any other ideas for where those
cam-fasteners might be hidden?

If yours is anything like the cheap particle board thing we've got, the
fasteners are cunningly hidden all over the place. Sometimes on the inside
of drawers, sometime on the edges of various panels, sometimes under trim
pieces. A stud finder will tell you where the metal bits are, and from
there it's just a matter of figuring out where the end is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Fr@nk

"Tim and Steph" wrote in message

If yours is anything like the cheap particle board thing we've got, the
fasteners are cunningly hidden all over the place. Sometimes on the
inside of drawers, sometime on the edges of various panels, sometimes
under trim pieces. A stud finder will tell you where the metal bits are,
and from there it's just a matter of figuring out where the end is.

Ah, stud finder! Great idea; thanks!

Fr@nk

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Fr@nk wrote:

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do remember those cams. But I don't see any
exposed "heads" for those type of fasteners though. I've looked at it from
every side. And the only screws visible from underneath the desktop I
already removed. Those were plain phillips screws, BTW. I also removed four
Torx screws (two from each end of the desk); they seem to go right into the
edges of the privacy panel, yet removing them didn't release the panel. And
the hutch still doesn't budge. Any other ideas for where those cam-fasteners
might be hidden?

Some of the desks I've assembled used double-stick tape to hold the
hutch in place as well as the mechanical fasteners. Only way to find
out if that's the case is to try and pry it apart. Unfortunately it
most likely will pull up some of the vinyl wood grain from the
substrate, unless you're lucky enough to have a plastic laminate
desktop.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do remember those cams. But I don't see any
exposed "heads" for those type of fasteners though. I've looked at it from
every side. And the only screws visible from underneath the desktop I
already removed. Those were plain phillips screws, BTW. I also removed

four
Torx screws (two from each end of the desk); they seem to go right into

the
edges of the privacy panel, yet removing them didn't release the panel.

And
the hutch still doesn't budge. Any other ideas for where those

cam-fasteners
might be hidden?

I also recall that some models had a wood or plastic dowel or two on each
side. You may just need to pry gently. This stuff was well engineered for
a price point item.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

In article toWtf.70584$sg5.11478@dukeread12,
Fr@nk wrote:
Hi. I have a 15 year old O'sullivan computer desk with attached hutch. I'd
like to remove the hutch, making the desk top flat again, giving me more
usable desktop space. Unfortunately, I can't find the assembly
diagram/instructions for this desk, and other than a few Torx screws, I
don't see any other visible fasteners to remove to "release" the hutch from
the top of the desk.

Googleing for "O'Sullivan desk" produces about 1000 hits. I didn't look
at them, but its likely you could find an instruction sheet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Fr@nk

--
Rich Greenberg Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321
6507

Yeah, I did that. Almost everything is either a commercial/sales site or
for-sale site. I couldn't find a sheet, otherwise I wouldn't have posted.
Thanks anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Fr@nk" wrote in message

I don't recall any stickers on the desk but if you have one this link might
help.

http://www.osullivan.com/consumer.html

I doubt they have the old stuff online.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Fr@nk

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Most RTA desks use something similar to this connector:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=866-497
Torx is unusual, usually it's a slotted or Philips head, but no matter.
If you turn the all of the exposed screw heads to loosen them until
they will turn no further, you should be able to lift the hutch
straight up and off.

I did say Torx, but I should've said Hex, sorry. The desk came with its own
hex wrench to tighten those.

Yep, I remember lots of those cam type connectors. However, with this
particular desk, considering how stubborn (and solidly-attached) the hutch
is to move, I'm starting to recall it might've been attached with (mostly)
wood pins and glue. I'm probably wasting my time looking for fasteners (and
that's probably why I don't see any!). At this point, the quickest and
easiest way to remove the hutch is probably going to be with my circular
saw. Thanks for all the tips; I'll remember them for next time.

Fr@nk