Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Clapper alternative

Hi, I was thinking of getting that stupid Clapper light turner off
thing. I read it was not too good. Is there something else I can get
to turn off the light from the other side of the room? Thanks for help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

wrote:
Hi, I was thinking of getting that stupid Clapper light turner off
thing. I read it was not too good. Is there something else I can get
to turn off the light from the other side of the room? Thanks for help.

You can get X10 units.

www.x10.com

You can get all sorts of devices for home automation, from simple
outlet switches to dimmers, and controllers that hook the your PC.
These units run on RF (meaning the signal can go through a wall, just
like your radio), and you can have a hand held remote to turn it on and
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 29 Dec 2005 21:28:11 -0800, wrote:

Hi, I was thinking of getting that stupid Clapper light turner off
thing. I read it was not too good. Is there something else I can get
to turn off the light from the other side of the room? Thanks for help.

You can use lamp wire with a plug/receptacle on one end and a switch
on the other, wired as appropriate. They are sold pre-made in 12 foot
lengths and probably longer longer. Or you can make one yourself with
easy to get parts.

My mother suprised me enormously by liking the Clapper, although I
can't remember what she had it connected to, even though I was the one
who disconnected it after she died.

I figure that the act of clapping, which takes some effort, even in
the commerical, would be more than enough to wake someone up who was
almost asleep. I think my mother used it for some other purpose.
OTOH, I've used for decades a regular cord with a swtich on the end
for lots of things, including tv's, except for the tv's that lose
position when they are unplugged. Some don't do that, and even some
electronic tv's remember whether they were on or off, and what
channel they were on, and everything else, even after the power is
disconnected.

(There is a group around here that collects used wheel chairs and all
kinds of other medical supplies and gives them to needy people,, and I
gave them the Clapper too.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

often the tv cable box remote has a switched outlet on the back. some
tuner amplifiers have this also.
or, battery wireless remote turns a 110v module on/off. check the
seasonal gardening/swimming pool or seasonal outdoor christmas lighting
departments for these. i saw at canadian tire store.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I was thinking of getting that stupid Clapper light turner off
thing. I read it was not too good. Is there something else I can get
to turn off the light from the other side of the room? Thanks for help.

www.smarthome.com I have a half dozen lights on it and three controls,
(one timer, two manual) as well as being able to turn on two lights from my
car if we come home late.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

X10, the protical is X10 also used and intercompatible with Radio shack
PlugnPower, GM 3 button built in garage door openers, many 3 button
garage units, Smart home, luetron , and the list goes on and on, to
backward compatibility. I use radioshack and even slow fans with the
lamp dimmers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ended up getting some package deal with x10. Hopefully it will work
as claimed. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

m Ransley wrote:
X10, the protical is X10 also used and intercompatible with Radio shack
PlugnPower, GM 3 button built in garage door openers, many 3 button
garage units, Smart home, luetron , and the list goes on and on, to
backward compatibility. I use radioshack and even slow fans with the
lamp dimmers.

I had bad luck with a Radio Shack starter kit (controller, lamp control
and appliance control). The lamp controller gave out constant RFI for my
radios. Later, it started turning itself on at random times, and no amount
of changing the "addressing" settings stopped it. Finally, the appliance
controller gave out and stopped responding altogether. Elapsed time, about
one year.

alternative to solder? werwer Home Repair 6 December 3rd 05 11:29 PM
Should we end the mortgage interest deduction? Steve Home Ownership 38 November 20th 05 12:59 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 0 September 17th 05 11:38 PM
Alternative Septic Systems [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 17th 05 10:54 PM
Looking for alternative to 'bubble' solar pool cover .... Ken Smith Home Ownership 0 September 14th 04 09:09 PM