Posted to alt.home.repair
werwer

Default alternative to solder?

I have a copper jonint, to a tub, that is in a very tight place. Is
there an
alternative, good alternative, to soldering a copper joint? I don't
want to
burn the house down ... and other things.
thinks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

werwer wrote:
I have a copper jonint, to a tub, that is in a very tight place. Is
there an
alternative, good alternative, to soldering a copper joint? I don't
want to
burn the house down ... and other things.

Try a good local hardware store, or:

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...y--618393.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

I've used an epoxy from Lowes because the pipe was right up against the
wood. It was two years ago and it hasn't leaked yet. However, I tried to
use it again last year and it had gone bad. It is a lot of money for a
couple joints.

One of these days I am going to try a CA glue called "just for copper"
because it claims it can be used on dripping pipe; but haven't gotten around
to buying it. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

That said, pine is difficult to actually set on fire with a propane torch; a
little scorching never hurt anyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

werwer wrote:

I have a copper jonint, to a tub, that is in a very tight place. Is
there an
alternative, good alternative, to soldering a copper joint? I don't
want to
burn the house down ... and other things.
thinks

Depending on the details, you could consider a compression fitting.

You might also be able to "move" the final solder joint needed to
someplace easier to get at by doing most of the joints on your
workbench and then putting them in place as an assembly. Again
the details will govern.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

You could buy a soldering shield to put between the workpiece and the
wood. A small, carbon-fiber blanket will insulate the wood from the
flame of your soldering torch as long as you don't take too long about
it. The blanket will get red hot, but most of the heat will not make
it through to the wood.

As for the epoxys and other fixes, they are the reason that I've
recently had to purchase one of these shields (previous owner decided
that epoxy and duct-tape were suitable copper pipe repair materials in
tight spaces).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Nov 2005 06:41:16 -0800, "louie" wrote:

You could buy a soldering shield to put between the workpiece and the
wood. A small, carbon-fiber blanket will insulate the wood from the
flame of your soldering torch as long as you don't take too long about
it. The blanket will get red hot, but most of the heat will not make
it through to the wood.

As for the epoxys and other fixes, they are the reason that I've
recently had to purchase one of these shields (previous owner decided
that epoxy and duct-tape were suitable copper pipe repair materials in
tight spaces).

Duct tape should fix everything. Whoever installed the tape must have
used it wrong. They probably unrolled it from the roll backwards.

Some day I want to build an entire house out of ONLY ducttape. The
problem is how to get electricity to conduct thru the tape for the
wiring, and how to make light bulbs that glow, using only duct tape.
Then too, there's the duct tape furnace that can not be flammable, and
the ducttape plumbing that makes great pipes, but it's making a faucet
out of ducttape where the ducttape washers wont stick to the ducttape
seats, that's a problem. Once completed, the completely ducttape car
will be next. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the ducttape
pistons from sticking to the ducttape engine block. The ducttape
tires are easy though, just keep rolling it until it's big enough....
lol

By the way, has anyone made a ducttape Christmas tree yet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm adding this as a point of interest. I heard about this recently and
can't wait until it's available here. Someone I know saw new
construction being done using this new device. It uses a compression
tool to make the fitting mechanically.
http://journals.iranscience.net:800/...9,2601,00.html
" The first seal in the piping system is the copper-to-copper press
connection. With 2,000 pounds of force being applied to the connection,
the final result is a tight copper-to-copper joint between the copper
tubing and fitting."
Richard

Are these solder joints bad? Ralph Mowery Electronics Repair 7 September 30th 05 04:50 AM
Aluminum soldering rich brenz Metalworking 15 May 19th 05 02:04 PM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 05:16 PM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 05:05 PM