Posted to alt.home.repair
Ajju

Default Power from ceiling light

I''m a tru newbie to electrical wiring so please humor me here...I have
an RJ45 cable hanging from the hallway ceiling on the main floor of my
house (it's the center of the house and will cover the entire house
with a wireless acess point signal). Problem is...when the wiring was
run i forgot to put a power receptacle in the ceiling for the wireless
router. There is however, a hallway ceiling light about 2 ft away from
the access point,,,can I tap into this light to get power for the
access point? If so, how would I go about doing it?

thanks a bunch
Newbie,
Ajju

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

There may only be power at the light when it is turned on. If you take down
the fixture and find more than two wires in the ceiling box, it is possible
you have a feed in the box, which could be tapped for an outlet.

"Ajju" wrote in message
oups.com...
I''m a tru newbie to electrical wiring so please humor me here...I have
an RJ45 cable hanging from the hallway ceiling on the main floor of my
house (it's the center of the house and will cover the entire house
with a wireless acess point signal). Problem is...when the wiring was
run i forgot to put a power receptacle in the ceiling for the wireless
router. There is however, a hallway ceiling light about 2 ft away from
the access point,,,can I tap into this light to get power for the
access point? If so, how would I go about doing it?

thanks a bunch
Newbie,
Ajju

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

moved to the bottom

"Ajju" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

But where are you going to install the duplex receptable. And I have never
been in a house with a power supply hanging from the ceiling? Nor a router
either for that matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

There's a first time for everything. If he's got enough LED's on the WAP he
could just swap it for the fixture

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

moved to the bottom

"Ajju" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I think the best solution, if you haven't already purchased your WAP is to
get one with (POE) as they don't require a plug in transformer

"Ajju" wrote in message
oups.com...
I''m a tru newbie to electrical wiring so please humor me here...I have
an RJ45 cable hanging from the hallway ceiling on the main floor of my
house (it's the center of the house and will cover the entire house
with a wireless acess point signal). Problem is...when the wiring was
run i forgot to put a power receptacle in the ceiling for the wireless
router. There is however, a hallway ceiling light about 2 ft away from
the access point,,,can I tap into this light to get power for the
access point? If so, how would I go about doing it?

thanks a bunch
Newbie,
Ajju

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ajju

Well, the hole in the ceiling where the RJ45 is coming from can be
slightly expanded and the receptacle can be placed hidden in the
ceiling. The access point will cover the whole when mounted...The
access point hanging from the ceiling is a first but it's the best
place for full coverage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ajju

I actually looked for a POE adapter for my WAP but there isn't one
available for my model. I like the WAP i have and would rather try and
get power for it than get a new WAP.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ajju

Thanks! I'll take a look and see what i find...

A.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Ajju wrote:

I''m a tru newbie to electrical wiring so please humor me here...I have
an RJ45 cable hanging from the hallway ceiling on the main floor of my
house (it's the center of the house and will cover the entire house
with a wireless acess point signal). Problem is...when the wiring was
run i forgot to put a power receptacle in the ceiling for the wireless
router. There is however, a hallway ceiling light about 2 ft away from
the access point,,,can I tap into this light to get power for the
access point? If so, how would I go about doing it?

thanks a bunch
Newbie,
Ajju

Hi,
First, you better hope you can tap a constant power from that ceiling
fixture. It depends how it is wired. Or you have to keep the fixture
switched on all the time. Or you can modifiy the wiring bypassing the
switch. But it depends whether you need the light or not. There are many
possibilities. There is a way where there is a will. Nothing is impossible.
Good luck and don't get zapped.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Skyhawk

at the ceiling... might be difficult to troubleshoot, if there is a
need
to work on the device in winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

"Ajju" wrote in message
oups.com...
I''m a tru newbie to electrical wiring so please humor me here...I have
an RJ45 cable hanging from the hallway ceiling on the main floor of my
house (it's the center of the house and will cover the entire house
with a wireless acess point signal). Problem is...when the wiring was
run i forgot to put a power receptacle in the ceiling for the wireless
router. There is however, a hallway ceiling light about 2 ft away from
the access point,,,can I tap into this light to get power for the
access point? If so, how would I go about doing it?

thanks a bunch
Newbie,
Ajju

Why not just get a PoE (power over ethernet) access point? All the Cisco
ones accept PoE...

Posted to alt.home.repair
philkryder

should work just fine - And when your ISP asks you to "recycle the
access point" you can just hit the switch.

Don't forget that there are "radio activated" outlets.

You could (if needed) bypass the on-off switch so that the new
recepticle is "always on".
Then plug the ceiling light into the new recepticle through one of the
wireless adapters.

This would give you:
1) Continuous to the WAP
2) switchable ceiling light

good luck!
Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

see also:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

I''m a tru newbie to electrical wiring so please humor me here...I have
an RJ45 cable hanging from the hallway ceiling on the main floor of my
house (it's the center of the house and will cover the entire house
with a wireless acess point signal). Problem is...when the wiring was
run i forgot to put a power receptacle in the ceiling for the wireless
router. There is however, a hallway ceiling light about 2 ft away from
the access point,,,can I tap into this light to get power for the
access point? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Use Power-Over-Ethernet instead. That way you supply power to the access
point over the Cat-5 cable instead. Many Wifi access points support POE but
you'd do well to check before you buy. Don't bother trying to stuff the
power supply wall wart up into the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Daremo

You'd have to have a router/switch that sends POE, not just every cheapo
router will send the power over the cable.

Daremo

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
t...
I''m a tru newbie to electrical wiring so please humor me here...I have
an RJ45 cable hanging from the hallway ceiling on the main floor of my
house (it's the center of the house and will cover the entire house
with a wireless acess point signal). Problem is...when the wiring was
run i forgot to put a power receptacle in the ceiling for the wireless
router. There is however, a hallway ceiling light about 2 ft away from
the access point,,,can I tap into this light to get power for the
access point? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Use Power-Over-Ethernet instead. That way you supply power to the access
point over the Cat-5 cable instead. Many Wifi access points support POE
but
you'd do well to check before you buy. Don't bother trying to stuff the
power supply wall wart up into the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

"Daremo" wrote in message
[...]

You do NOT need a PoE switch or router....those are typically used in a
comercial environment for mass quantities of PoE devices (ie phones, ap's
etc). For a single installation like this you would use a power injector,
available from many manufacturers including Linksys and Netgear. Heck, you
could even make your own!

-Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:00:47 -0500, "Brian V"
wrote:

"Daremo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

http://www.demarctech.com/products/r...-injector.html

The first thing a web search found.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Light Bulbs leaving black marks on ceiling Wade Home Repair 30 May 13th 21 08:46 PM
Flashing low power light jks UK diy 7 October 30th 05 06:01 PM
pc power supply failure? Al Electronics Repair 9 January 23rd 05 11:15 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
add a light in bedrooms tweety Home Repair 17 March 11th 04 11:22 AM